Default Changing sails on a furler

So, why dont headsail furler manufacturers market their furlers as able
to easily have head sails changed? Why do they make furlers where
easy sail changes are not possible? If it simply isnt possible to make
a single sail that can efficiently handle being furled a lot, why not
live with that and assume users will have two headsails. Somewhere in
this is a missing opportunity but I cannot see it yet.

I see that as sort of inelegant. I remember the Practical Sailor
editor remarking about their around the world cruise while thye were in
the Caribbean that they wished they had chosen a smaller furling sail
instead of a 130. So, why not have a furler where it is easily changed
and simply have two sails?

FMac

wrote in message
ps.com...
I see that as sort of inelegant. I remember the Practical Sailor
editor remarking about their around the world cruise while thye were in
the Caribbean that they wished they had chosen a smaller furling sail
instead of a 130. So, why not have a furler where it is easily changed
and simply have two sails?

I completely agree with you. Depending on the wind, I would change from a
130 to a Yankee and vice versa without trouble. Although I found the Yankee
to be superior in providing visibility, I would change to the 130 in order
to increase my speed. However, I really wasn't in a hurry to get somewhere.
Yet, over a thousand miles a half a knot increase in speed can be
significant, at least in terms of time of arrival.

beaufortnc

My boat has a Goiot furler with two sail tracks.

Simply pull down the 130 and hoist the 90

or...

Fly them both downwind (although I've never done this)

Mike.

The Compleat FAQ for alt.sailing.asa JG ASA 48 January 6th 05 04:18 AM
HELP! Need suggestions on making mast & sails sandy Boat Building 10 February 8th 04 04:24 PM
Neal's new Sails Donal ASA 10 January 31st 04 09:54 PM
Sails officially ordered. Simple Simon ASA 2 September 10th 03 07:38 AM
Even better prices on working sails. Simple Simon ASA 14 September 4th 03 01:20 PM