A sailboat sans mast is a bit of a brutal animal to be aboard in any
kind of sea. Descriptions from sailors who have been at sea and lost the
rig would discourage most from even contemplating such, the
counterbalance of the rig is a necessary part of the traditionally
*easy* motion of a sailboat.

Absolutely right about the rolling motion without the mast. There's
nothing wrong wiith the concept of a motor sailor but by all means
leave the mast up and use it for a small heavily built mainsail with
full battens and lazy jacks. On the other hand, if you are going to
motor anyway, why not buy a boat designed for it, and with all the
amenities that come along?

Passat

Hello All!
I have read all responses with great interest. Have learned a lot since
the start of this thread. I will take a closer look at Nordhavn and
Krogen although there are not a lot out there. Grand Banks are nice but
expensive compared to Nordhavn and Krogen. I have also had second
thoughts about single engine boats, I considered twin engine essential
but have since learned about wing engines. They give me what I need,
the security of a back-up. Singles also give me lower centerline
ballast and accessability to other system components, not to mention
better fuel economy.
My wife and I are now heading back to Newport, where our boat shopping
trip began. They are holding a Trawler Fest there this coming weekend,
hope to get lots more info. Also hope to meet some owners to pick their
brains before writing the cheques.

What was it like 4 U Joe ASA 264 December 28th 04 11:26 PM
What's a good sail boat to buy to live on? Wilfred Johnson Cruising 8 July 7th 04 01:57 AM