BoatBanter.com

-   -   From sail to power, which boat? (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/46325-sail-power-boat.html)

predl July 16th 05 09:19 PM

From sail to power, which boat?

We have sailed the East Coast and Great Lakes for many years.
Getting a bit creaky, new hip etc. We (my wife and I) are looking for a
power boat in the 43 to 56 foot range. Fell in love with a 55' Azimut
and liked the traditional look of the Grand Banks, EU style. Which one
is right for us. Th Azimuts we have seen, although very beautiful
inside left an impression of less than solidness, hatch locks of
plastic were mostly broken, screws and brackets wimpy. Also the engine
room seemed so crammed that I felt access to many sytem components was
nearly impossible without removing other major bits. On the other hand
the layout is generous, beautifully appointed. No bulwarks.
The Grand Banks looks nice, more solidly built, more expensive per
foot. Also less roomy somehow. The engine room is less cluttered,
everything easily accessable. Good high bulwarks
In other words, two comletely opposite animals.
Can anyone share some experience or knowledge about either vessel?
thanks
Dieter Evertz

Harlan Lachman July 16th 05 10:19 PM

In article .com,
"predl" wrote:

[...]

Dieter, my 80 year old father is currently out somewhere on LI Sound or
points east on a three week cruise on his Legacy 42.

He has been a sailor for most of his adult years (J Boats, Sabre Yachts,
Nordic Yachts, Director built custom boats, etc.). He worried what would
happen to my mom if something (e.g., death or stroke) happened to him
while they were out.

He appreciates the bow thruster and enclosed cockpit (to allow AC on
days it might be necessary to keep him and my mom alive and to keep the
cold rain or salt water spray off). You might want to check out
powerboats made by sailboat makers. The craftsmanship seems to me (a
blow boater and stink potter) better and the design cleaner on most sail
boats.

As important as the boat, is the yard that will work on the engine and
fix things. He should not be lugging things around as much as he used to.

Sorry I cannot comment on the two boats you mention. I just thought the
above might prove useful to you. Personally, I think the 40 foot range
is a good fit for ease of maneuvering and all and 20 knots will seem
like you are flying compared to even a light displacement J Boat.

--
To respond, obviously drop the "nospan"?

Passat July 17th 05 02:08 AM

I appreciate your comments Harlan, though I'm just 69 and active.
But jumping around a sailboat deck in 20 foot seas doesn't sound like
fun anymore. I do like the security of a heavy keel, don't know what
happens to a power yacht in heavy seas.
Dieter Evertz

Tom Shilson July 17th 05 02:37 AM

You may want to look at the Nordhaven. http://nordhavn.com/index.php4 It
has circumnavigated.

Tom
of the Sal****er Sea

Harlan Lachman July 17th 05 03:01 AM

In article .com,
"Passat" wrote:

I appreciate your comments Harlan, though I'm just 69 and active.
But jumping around a sailboat deck in 20 foot seas doesn't sound like
fun anymore. I do like the security of a heavy keel, don't know what
happens to a power yacht in heavy seas.
Dieter Evertz

Harlan Lachman wrote:
In article .com,
"predl" wrote:

[...]

I have been in my 24 footer off the cape and the Block in 8 footers and
it is nice to go 20 knots and feel safe.

My dad's Legacy rides waves much nicer. I think with a well made, solid
made powerboat of the sizes being discussed that you will be pleased.

harlan

--
To respond, obviously drop the "nospan"?

Bowgus July 17th 05 05:23 PM

Wht not just get yourself a diesel powered sailing vessel that's maybe in
need of new rigging, talk the price down, ... and then derig it? That's
what I'm thinking down the road ... the stability that keel provides really
appeals, plus the economy, the space, the efficiency through the water, and
so on.

Jonathan July 18th 05 03:00 PM

A sailboat sans mast is a bit of a brutal animal to be aboard in any
kind of sea. Descriptions from sailors who have been at sea and lost the
rig would discourage most from even contemplating such, the
counterbalance of the rig is a necessary part of the traditionally
*easy* motion of a sailboat.

Jonathan

Bowgus wrote:

Wht not just get yourself a diesel powered sailing vessel that's maybe in
need of new rigging, talk the price down, ... and then derig it? That's
what I'm thinking down the road ... the stability that keel provides really
appeals, plus the economy, the space, the efficiency through the water, and
so on.

Getting a bit creaky, new hip etc. We (my wife and I) are looking for a
power boat in the 43 to 56 foot range.

--
I am building a Dudley Dix, Argie 10 for my daughter. Check it out:
http://home.comcast.net/~jonsailr

[email protected] July 19th 05 02:11 AM

I can tell you from experience that the Grand Banks is very well laid
out for short handed cruising (full walk around decks, port and
starboard cabin doors, etc.).

One is built for comfort, the other for speed. What are your
priorities?

Harlan Lachman July 20th 05 03:55 PM

predl wrote:
[...]

Dieter, I just want to reiterate that most folks buying powerboats have
different desires and tastes than most buying sailboats. Hence, take
reviews with a grain of salt. Try to figure out the bias of the reviewer
or the audience.

My son and I chose the faster, gas guzzling motor home interior type of
powerboat because he wanted to go fast and I chose to be completely
different from my sailboat. But most sailors, like my Dad, are happiest
with the more solid, sailboat like interiors.

harlan

--
To respond, obviously drop the "nospan"?