Jon Gauthier

Default Lewmar D1 rope clutch problems...

Anyone know a fix on Lewmar D1 rope clutches whose springs repeatedly
slip out of place? These are the ones with the "Domino Cluster" rather
than a single cam pressing against the line.

There's little to no wear on the metal plates (the fixed base plate and
the first "domino" of the cluster) that each leg/ear of the springs push
against, so I can only conclude that the legs/ears were designed a bit
too short - hence the slipping out of place. And of course the clutches
are beyond their 3-year warranty.

I'm waiting to hear back from Lewmar to see if I can get replacement
springs. No sense in spending $US 150 each for new clutches if a few $2
springs fixes them.