BoatBanter.com

-   -   Lewmar D1 rope clutch problems... (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/45831-lewmar-d1-rope-clutch-problems.html)

Jon Gauthier July 5th 05 07:25 PM

Lewmar D1 rope clutch problems...

Anyone know a fix on Lewmar D1 rope clutches whose springs repeatedly
slip out of place? These are the ones with the "Domino Cluster" rather
than a single cam pressing against the line.

There's little to no wear on the metal plates (the fixed base plate and
the first "domino" of the cluster) that each leg/ear of the springs push
against, so I can only conclude that the legs/ears were designed a bit
too short - hence the slipping out of place. And of course the clutches
are beyond their 3-year warranty.

I'm waiting to hear back from Lewmar to see if I can get replacement
springs. No sense in spending $US 150 each for new clutches if a few $2
springs fixes them.

Gogarty July 5th 05 11:00 PM

In article ,
says...

Anyone know a fix on Lewmar D1 rope clutches whose springs repeatedly
slip out of place? These are the ones with the "Domino Cluster" rather
than a single cam pressing against the line.

There's little to no wear on the metal plates (the fixed base plate and
the first "domino" of the cluster) that each leg/ear of the springs push
against, so I can only conclude that the legs/ears were designed a bit
too short - hence the slipping out of place. And of course the clutches
are beyond their 3-year warranty.

I'm waiting to hear back from Lewmar to see if I can get replacement
springs. No sense in spending $US 150 each for new clutches if a few $2
springs fixes them.

Good luck dealing with Lewmar.

Jon Gauthier July 7th 05 08:32 PM

Seems like Lewmar just responded to my e-mail to them and they're
sending me new re-designed springs.

I'll keep the group up-to-date with how things work out.

Jon

Gogarty wrote:
In article ,
says...

Craig Bryant July 11th 05 08:49 PM

I had the same problem with two D1 triples, got the new springs, and
replaced them earlier this season. So far, the clutches are working fine.
Replacement wasn't too difficult either.

Craig Bryant

"Jon Gauthier" wrote in message
Seems like Lewmar just responded to my e-mail to them and they're
sending me new re-designed springs.

I'll keep the group up-to-date with how things work out.

Jon

Gogarty wrote:
In article ,
says...