Nigel

Default granny bars.... mast guard rails

Not sure if I have the right term, I have always known them as granny bars.
I would like to buy / make / have made a pair of guard rails to sit either
side of the mast. I'd appreciate any thoughts on height, tubes, materials
size, how far away from the mast they should be and any other thoughts. The
boat is a Roberts 53ft with all the halyards at the mast and plenty of room
either side of it.
Can I buy them off the shelf in the UK
Thanks

Glenn Ashmore

Not very scientific or to any "standard" but I built mine out of 1" .065
wall stainless tube. Same material as a top rail on a pulpit. I set the
height at, er, best I can describe, the bottom of my butt. :-) Distance
from the mast is just enough to comfortably crank the winches. Mine also
have a third leg for stability that also serves as a Dorade guard.

I doubt you will find them ready made anywhere but any pulpit fabricator can
make them up fairly easily. The challange is fitting the mounting flanges
flat to the cabin top.

I saw a rather nice looking simple mast pulpit recently on a traditional
style boat. Just 2 lengths of stainless tube with flanges welded to both
end with a brace about half way up and a teak pinrail across the top.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Nigel" wrote in message
Not sure if I have the right term, I have always known them as granny
bars.
I would like to buy / make / have made a pair of guard rails to sit either
side of the mast. I'd appreciate any thoughts on height, tubes, materials
size, how far away from the mast they should be and any other thoughts.
The boat is a Roberts 53ft with all the halyards at the mast and plenty of
room either side of it.
Can I buy them off the shelf in the UK
Thanks

granny bars.... mast guard rails Nigel Boat Building 1 July 2nd 05 12:38 PM
( OT ) Bush in the National Guard: A primer Jim General 33 September 26th 04 04:13 PM
Just a few names... John Smith General 0 May 2nd 04 11:32 PM
Mast Rake and Mast Bend DSK ASA 48 January 16th 04 08:07 PM