Larry W4CSC

Default OUCH!

Big ferry smashes into marina in BC.....GIF at 11.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...r_on_na/ferry_
aground

--
Larry

You know you've had a rough night when you wake up and you're outlined in
chalk.

engsol

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 07:18:19 -0400, Larry W4CSC wrote:

Big ferry smashes into marina in BC.....GIF at 11.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...r_on_na/ferry_
aground

Yep, CBC (radio) carried extensive reports. I'm wondering how many of the wrecked
boats will suddenly have new radar, paint jobs, etc. when it come time to file claims.

As bad as it was, the skipper did the right thing in my view. If he had run into the ferry
landing, a whole bunch of cars would have mashed up to the front, possibly killing a
few people....but maybe not...the speed at impact hasn't been reported to my
knowledge, which should have pretty slow.
Norm B
Larry W4CSC

engsol wrote in
:

As bad as it was, the skipper did the right thing in my view. If he
had run into the ferry landing, a whole bunch of cars would have
mashed up to the front, possibly killing a few people....but maybe
not...the speed at impact hasn't been reported to my knowledge, which
should have pretty slow. Norm B

If the crew's labour union can convince the government it was the trouble
with the clutches the union engineers had reported before, heads might roll
and cost the company big money....

--
Larry

You know you've had a rough night when you wake up and you're outlined in
chalk.

Anchor

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 10:28:48 -0700, engsol wrote:

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 07:18:19 -0400, Larry W4CSC wrote:

Big ferry smashes into marina in BC.....GIF at 11.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...r_on_na/ferry_
aground

Yep, CBC (radio) carried extensive reports. I'm wondering how many of the wrecked
boats will suddenly have new radar, paint jobs, etc. when it come time to file claims.

As bad as it was, the skipper did the right thing in my view. If he had run into the ferry
landing, a whole bunch of cars would have mashed up to the front, possibly killing a
few people....but maybe not...the speed at impact hasn't been reported to my
knowledge, which should have pretty slow.
Norm B

Standard practice is to drop anchors
rhys

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 23:37:13 -0400, Larry W4CSC
wrote:

engsol wrote in
:

As bad as it was, the skipper did the right thing in my view. If he
had run into the ferry landing, a whole bunch of cars would have
mashed up to the front, possibly killing a few people....but maybe
not...the speed at impact hasn't been reported to my knowledge, which
should have pretty slow. Norm B

If the crew's labour union can convince the government it was the trouble
with the clutches the union engineers had reported before, heads might roll
and cost the company big money....

Apparently the thing went through a refit a few weeks ago, so yes,
someone's testicles will serve some anvil time, I suspect.

engsol

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 21:31:21 -0400, Anchor wrote:

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 10:28:48 -0700, engsol wrote:

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 07:18:19 -0400, Larry W4CSC wrote:

Big ferry smashes into marina in BC.....GIF at 11.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...r_on_na/ferry_
aground

Yep, CBC (radio) carried extensive reports. I'm wondering how many of the wrecked
boats will suddenly have new radar, paint jobs, etc. when it come time to file claims.

As bad as it was, the skipper did the right thing in my view. If he had run into the ferry
landing, a whole bunch of cars would have mashed up to the front, possibly killing a
few people....but maybe not...the speed at impact hasn't been reported to my
knowledge, which should have pretty slow.
Norm B

Standard practice is to drop anchors

ERK! Ya know, I've never thought to look for anchors on a ferry. I wonder if they
have any, and if so, where they are. They aren't obvious to the casual observer.

Even if the skipper had let the anchor(s) go, I'm wondering how long it would take
to bring a 500 foot ship to a halt?

Norm B
Peggie Hall

engsol wrote:
ERK! Ya know, I've never thought to look for anchors on a ferry. I wonder if they
have any, and if so, where they are. They aren't obvious to the casual observer.

Even if the skipper had let the anchor(s) go, I'm wondering how long it would take
to bring a 500 foot ship to a halt?

Dropping the anchors from a large vessel is not without its own
risks...as illustrated by a story--allegedly true, but I won't swear to
it--a friend sent me years ago:

DONT PANIC- - -WRITE A REPORT!
The following report, from a ship's master is reproduced by kind
permission of the anonymous author who appears to be gifted with
remarkable sang froid.
.................................................. ....................

It is with regret and haste that I write this letter to you; regret that
such a small misunderstanding could lead to the following circumstances,
and haste in order that you get this report before you form your own
pre-conceived opinions from reports in the world press, for I am sure
that they will tend to overdramatise the affair.

We had just picked up the pilot and the apprentice had returned from
changing the "G" flag for the "H" and, it being his first trip, he was
having difficulty in rolling the "G" flag up. I therefore proceeded to
show him how. Coming to the last part I told him to "let go!" The lad,
although willing, is not too bright, necessitating my having to repeat
the order in a sharper tone. At this moment the Chief Officer appeared
from the chart room, having been plotting the vessel's progress, and,
thinking that it was the anchors that were being referred to, repeated
the "let go" order to the Third Officer on the forecastle. The port
anchor, having been cleared away but not walked out, was promptly let
go! The effect of letting the anchor drop from the" pipe" while the
vessel was proceeding at full harbour speed, proved too much for the
windlass brake and the entire length of the port cable was pulled out
"by the roots." I fear that the damage to the chain locker may be
extensive.

The braking effect of the port anchor naturally caused the vessel to
sheer in that direction, right towards the swing bridge that spans a
tributary to the river, up which we were proceeding. The operator of the
swing bridge, showed great presence of mind by opening the bridge for my
ship. Unfortunately he did not stop the vehicular traffic first, the
result being that the bridge partly opened and deposited a Volkswagon,
two cyclists and a livestock truck on the foredeck. My ship's company
are at present rounding up the contents of the latter, which from the
noise I would say are pigs. In his efforts to stop the progress of the
vessel, the Third Officer dropped the starboard anchor, too late to be
of practical use, for it fell on the swing bridge operator's control cabin.

After the port anchor was let go and the vessel started to sheer, I gave
a double ring "Full Astern" on the engine room telegraph and personally
rang the Engine Room to order maximum astern revolutions. I was informed
that the sea temperature was 53 degrees and asked if there was a film
tonight. My reply would not add constructively to this report.

Up to now I have confined my report to the activities at the forward
end of the vessel. Down aft they were having their own problems. At the
moment the port anchor was let go, the second officer was supervising
the making fast of the after tug and was lowering the ship's towing
spring down on to the tug. The sudden braking effect on the port anchor
caused the tug to "run in under" the stern of my vessel, just at the
moment when the propeller was answering my double ring to "Full astern."
The prompt action of the second officer in securing the inboard end of
the towing spring delayed the sinking of the tug by some minutes,
thereby allowing the safe abandoning of that vessel.

It is strange, but at that very same moment of letting go the port
anchor, there was a power cut ashore. The fact that we were passing over
a "cable area " at the time might suggest that we touched something on
the bottom of the river bed. It is perhaps lucky that the high tension
cables brought down by the foremast were not live, possibly being
replaced by the underwater cable, but owing to the shore blackout, it is
impossible to say where the pylon fell.

It never fails to amaze me, the actions of foreigners during moments of
minor crisis. The pilot, for instance, is at the moment huddled in the
corner, having consumed a bottle of gin in a time worthy of inclusion in
The Guiness Book of Records. The tug captain on the other hand reacted
violently, and had to be forcibly restrained by the steward, who has him
handcuffed in the ship's hospital, where he is now, telling me to do
impossible things with my ship and crew.

I enclose the names and addresses of the drivers and insurance companies
of the vehicles on my foredeck, which the third officer collected after
his somewhat hurried evacuation of the forecastle. These particulars
will enable you to claim for the damage that they did to the railings of
the No 1 hold.

I am closing this preliminary report, as I am finding it difficult to
concentrate with the sound of police sirens and flashing lights. It is
sad to think, that had the apprentice realised that there is no need to
fly pilot flags after dark, none of this would have happened.

For weekly Accountability Report I will assign the following Casualty
Numbers.... T17501010 to T 1750199 inclusive.

Yours truly, (name withheld)
MASTER.

--
Peggie
----------

This is not an account but an old joke from long ago, Peggy. :-) I
first read it around 1966.

Please consider that unless you happen to encounter its captain or
superintendent in a bar after he is retired and too drunk to be
prudent, then like nearly every other signifcant marine disaster which
is investigated and/or adjudicated by a number of regulatory bodies and
authorities, you will never know the full or true story and cause(s).
Even, and especially, if you read every report and finding by all of
them.

Ouch!!!! Bobsprit ASA 27 November 12th 04 06:43 AM
Ouch, this is gonna cost! Nav ASA 8 September 16th 04 11:52 PM
OUCH!!!!!!!!! Bob Crantz ASA 2 July 3rd 04 02:59 AM
OUCH!!!!!!! Sidney Greenstreet ASA 1 November 4th 03 01:42 PM