Gogarty

Default Dead windlass

If you have a Lewmar windlass and it goes bad, don't look to Lewmar for
help. They don't want to fix it. They just want to sell you a new one.

Does anyone know of a shop that repairs all brands of windlasses?
Google yields little. An automotive electrical shop has been recommended
but it's doubtful such a place would have the correct replacement parts,
such as brush assemblies.

Lewmar does not publish a repair manual for the motor/gearcase assembly
so I am really reluctant to try opening it up.

tigerregis

Try the shop. Also, remember manufacturers usually assemble parts that
are standard and available. Try to determine the problem and take the
windlass to the right fixer.

Gogarty wrote:
If you have a Lewmar windlass and it goes bad, don't look to Lewmar for
help. They don't want to fix it. They just want to sell you a new one.

Does anyone know of a shop that repairs all brands of windlasses?
Google yields little. An automotive electrical shop has been recommended
but it's doubtful such a place would have the correct replacement parts,
such as brush assemblies.

Lewmar does not publish a repair manual for the motor/gearcase assembly
so I am really reluctant to try opening it up.

I'm not so sure about that - I've been in contact with Angel (a guy,
, 203-458-6200) at Lewmar about my antique Lewmar 1000
windlass challenges.

While mine is well out of production, he's sending me blowups of the
parts list in the event I can find any I might need. However, he sez
they've long stopped making them. Also, however, browsing through the
various current windlasses, I've found several instances of lookalikes,
so perhaps there's hope, there.

Anyway, give him a shout/email.

L8R

Skip, seeing light at the end of the tunnel, but having to post from
webmail...

Skip Gundlach

Which model did you have? Mine is a 1000, vertical, with horizontal
motor.

We can't get the motor to drop, and while the fax is in, the marina
office is closed so I can't see how it's laid out.

Did you find some sort of retaining ring holding the motor to the
shaft?

Thanks.

L8R

Skip, on WiFi, refitting as fast as I can