Mic

Default Singlehanded Mast Raising System

A Singlehanded Mast Raising System

An interesting Rig....

http://www.scbiz.net/jcox/acm/mast_raising_sys.htm
Steve

When I had boats under 30 ft, I had a deck step or tabernacle mast step on
most of them. They are easy to control if your rigging is set up to maintain
even tension during the whole operation.

The best system that dealt with shourd tension is shown in Bruce Bingham's
Sketch Book. He deals with this by establishing a pivet point in the shouds
at a height equal to the pivet point of the mast. (you have to see a picture
to see how Bruce does this
http://www.hctc.com/~esteve/INGRID%2...s/tabern~1.zip ).

--
My experience and opinion, FWIW

wildman

I had similar problems raising the mast on my 20 footer by myself. I
tried "walking" it up as described, but had some hairy close calls. For
the past few years, I've been getting a little extra help from a device
that lets me raise the mast without climbing around. There is no jin
pole or baby stays. The mast raiser uses a spring to provide a helping
hand while you stand on the cabin top guiding the mast up with with
both hands free and no climbing around the boat required. The mast
raiser is pretensioned so that the weight of the mast is mostly
balanced before you start to lift. Then you raise the (almost)
weightless mast as fast or slow as you please entirely from the cabin
top. Since you have both hands on the mast (instead of pulling on a
tackle), there is really no danger losing control of the mast when
raising or lowering. It's easy and cheap to build and stows in a bag.

Mast Raiser Part 1: Concept
http://bbs.trailersailor.com/forums/...x.cgi/read/207

Mast Raiser Part 2: How to make it
http://bbs.trailersailor.com/forums/...x.cgi/read/214

Mast Raiser Part 3: How to work it:
http://bbs.trailersailor.com/forums/...x.cgi/read/218

Link to pictures that are no longer "archived" on TSBB:
http://tinyurl.com/4xj2q

Hope this helps, Paul

Denis Marier

I have a 27'0" sailboat with a 38 feet mast.
I started to raise my mast single-handed in 1982.
Correct me if I am wrong but I think your system is designed for smaller
boat.
The system I have been using since 1982 is known as the A frame.

"wildman" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

wildman

Denis - You're absolutely right -- the original context of the post was
for trailer sailors who just needed a little "help" to be able to raise
their mast single handed. Your boat is clearly beyond that scope and
you are using the right tool for the job. Paul