Terry Spragg wrote:

My dodger frame is made from fiberglass chimney rods. Flexible,
cheap, strong.

It would be nice if there were an economical source of this rod mat'l
avail w/o hacking up cleaning rods, and it has many other great uses.
My chimney rod sections are only abt 3/8" or less and I don't think I'd
use that for a dodger. A set of chimney rods isn't exactly a retail
giveaway, either, and one is stuck with the unusable couplings as well
as the rather short lengths. 316L tubing in modest sizes is fairly
easy and forgiving to bend in a conduit bender (not the Harry Homeowner
type). One may even practice a little with scrap conduit to gain
confidence. I'd get the right tubing & sidle up to a commercial
electrician on a jobsite at lunchtime. At lot of these guys feel
under-appreciated & they might even bend it all up for you for free if
you've already lain it out. Remember to pickle/passivate after
finished working it all up prior covering. Unless SS is not available
in one's area, it seems a false economy to invest the planning, time,
fabric & work for a lesser mat'l.

Terry Spragg

Terry Spragg wrote:

[...]

Chimney rods are 15 bucks each, can be disconnected and stowed, and
are a lot stronger than you might think. I used 3, with 2 ends cut
off, for my "conestoga" dodger. I do have a narrow, hinged iron
arch over the comanionway, but that's just the way it evolved.

The rods are lashed to stanctions. I may build hinges, for the after
frame, so it can be easily flopped down on deck foreward of the
companionway, but I will wait until the fabric needs replacing, so I
can cut the panels with folding down in mind. A telescoping or
folding overhead fore and aft stretcher will be required for the
collapse feature. I don't forsee needing it, the dodger is
desirable rain or shine. I need to work out a better zip out window
plan, as they shut themselves in a tailwind. With the bug net slung
over it, I have a nice gazebo to enjoy on a buggy anchorage, and it
sucks ventilation air. Sewing it herself saved the mate the price of
the materials and a sewing machine over a professional job. Stretch
the material over the frame, stick in some pins, whirrr it up on the
machine. Bob is your boyfriend. Cushion covers, next!

The rod unions are concealed beneath the wrap around zippered
fabric. The rods keep the fabric snug, flex when you hit them with
your codpiece or head, and are strong enough to grab for a handhold.
They also get out of the way when you want an inch or two for
balance, or to get the oars below, whatever.

Terry K

Larry W4CSC

Terry Spragg wrote in
:

Please don't take this as criticism, I'm trying to help.

Thanks...I was in too much of a hurry and didn't notice it.

--
Larry

You know you've had a rough night when you wake up and you're outlined in
chalk.

Opaque fresh water tubing Garland Gray II Cruising 12 April 8th 05 02:55 AM
Roger Dodger!!! Bobsprit ASA 2 April 26th 04 07:53 PM
The Dodger Defense Bobsprit ASA 44 April 25th 04 10:27 PM
Dodger...Over and out.... Bobsprit ASA 43 January 28th 04 03:04 AM
Ageing Dodger Jerry Cruising 7 September 28th 03 07:46 PM