Bobsprit

Default The Dodger Defense

I see that Scotty "doesn't like the look of dodgers on small boats" and Katy
found them a "drag."
Well, I've had nothing but positive responses on the dodger from 1st hand
observers, but there's the whole beauty/beholder thing. Sure the dodger can get
in the way, but at the start and end of the season, it's great! You can put it
away during the hotter months. Visibility is fine because the fellow who made
it measured window height from the helm seat. Standing, I can see over it just
fine as well. It's not a tall dodger. It made a cold sail pretty warm and the
connecting white awning will make the whole cockpit cooler at anchor. For years
people told me of the virtues, especially for spring and fall. Now I'm a
believer! Foulies and goggles? That's pretty uncomfortable, even with high end
gear like mine (I own a 900.00 Henry Loyd suit as well as lighter stuff). My
main complaint about it is that getting to the mainsheet forces me to bend a
bit more.
Finally...I added the Dodger because it offers a great grip moving around the
cockpit. The outer shelf is covered in a washable leatherett and is strong
enough to do pullups from. Did I mention that you can leave the companionway
hatch open in the rain and not have a wet interior?
It's yet another choice, of course. Usually, people who have them love them.
People who don't sure don't want to spend the cash on one, so they "prefer"
Goggles. I think the price of a new dodger is crazy and I doubt I would have
gotten one if I had to pay for it.

Note the padded grip along the edge

http://hometown.aol.com/bobsprit/images/al2.jpg

RB
C&C 32 Alien
City Island

Thom Stewart

Hey Nutsy,

If you install a transparent back flap on that Dodger, you can leave the
Hatch open in the Cold weather also. With the Cabin heater on. Don't
need goggles or foulies. Just a Sweat Shirt and a Cup Of Coffee. INSTANT
for Scottie.

Ole Thom

Bobsprit

If you install a transparent back flap on that Dodger, you can leave the
Hatch open in the Cold weather also. With the Cabin heater on. Don't
need goggles or foulies. Just a Sweat Shirt and a Cup Of Coffee. INSTANT
for Scottie.

Actually, that was offered to me. It can connect at the zipper for the awning.
I just didn't imagine I'd need it, but I can always change my mind. I don't
drink coffee actually.

RB

Scott Vernon

you got yours for free??? I thought you said you worked in the yard for it?

Scotty

"Bobsprit" wrote ...
I think the price of a new dodger is crazy and I doubt I would have
gotten one if I had to pay for it.

Note the padded cell , I'm on the edge.

tp://hometown.aol.com/bobsprit/images/al2.jpg

RB
C&C 32 Alien
City Island

Bobsprit

you got yours for free??? I thought you said you worked in the yard for it?

Selling stuff on Ebay, if you think that's "work." My barter deal with yards
has really worked far better than I expected. It's also covered my entire
season of yard bills and next year's storage. I've had a great time with ebay
and also sold stuff direct much of the time. Still lots more to do, but with
the sailing season kicking in, I'll probably slow down for now. I've also sold
3 boats in 6 weeks as a part time broker.
I've only had one negative experience with Ebay, when a seller sold me a bad
radio that he misrepresented. Ebay insurance recovered the loss. They're a
great outfit.

RB

Bobsprit

So you did pay for the dodger????

No. I did tip the guy who designed and built it.

RB
Scott Vernon

Do you consider playing the market as work? no? Then I got my wifes' car
for free.

Scotty

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
So you did pay for the dodger????

No. I did tip the guy who designed and built it.

RB

Help, Harry, I don't understand (little OT) John H General 23 February 2nd 04 01:56 AM
Dodger...Over and out.... Bobsprit ASA 43 January 28th 04 03:04 AM
Ageing Dodger Jerry Cruising 7 September 28th 03 07:46 PM
Iraqi Trailers full of Hot Air AGRES General 6 August 15th 03 10:15 PM