Bernard

Default Cruising Turkey

Hi!

My wife & I are doing a bareboat charter, from Sunsail, out of Gocek in
July, and would welcome any info, tips, places of interest, anchorages,
etc on cruising in this part of the world.

We have never cruised in the Med before, having chartered previously in
the BVI & Seychelles.

Thanks
Bernard

Martin-Paul Broennimann

Gocek is a very pleasant base.
From there I would head westward to Skopea Limani with many small charming
creeks, and if time, go as far as Caunus for the historical city, tombs and
so on.
Then head eastward to Fethiye, beautiful bay for sailing, then down to
Gemiler Adasi (ruins), the on to Kalkan and Kas, both towns with many
interesting sights and outings, from Kas eastward to the Kekova Straights
(also of cultural interest). Not worthwhile going further east than that.
Enjoy it. People are lovely, food is good and not expensive, you could have
a storm though. We had a tornado in september.

--
Best regards
Visit our website= www.broennimann.com

Martin-Paul Broennimann
architecte et urbaniste
14, rue du Diorama
CH 1204 Genève
Switzerland
portable/cellular 0041 78 6272967

TPG : Bus 1, Tram 13 arrêt Place du Cirque
Parking : Tribune de Genève, Hôtel des Finances
"Bernard" a écrit dans le message de news:
Hi!

My wife & I are doing a bareboat charter, from Sunsail, out of Gocek in
July, and would welcome any info, tips, places of interest, anchorages,
etc on cruising in this part of the world.

We have never cruised in the Med before, having chartered previously in
the BVI & Seychelles.

Thanks
Bernard

sherwindu

Be careful about clearing in and out of ports. The Turks are jumpy about yachts just
anchoring offshore, without clearing local customs. If they think you are trying to steal any
antiquities, be ready for a complete boat search. Be prepared to sit long
hours in the customs offices to get clearances and don't be surprised when some of
the officials indicate you have to grease the wheels a bit, like a meal at some restaurant. This
was my experience cruising the Turquoise Coast in the late seventies. Things may have changed, for
the better, I hope.

Sherwin D.

Bernard wrote:

Hi!

My wife & I are doing a bareboat charter, from Sunsail, out of Gocek in
July, and would welcome any info, tips, places of interest, anchorages,
etc on cruising in this part of the world.

We have never cruised in the Med before, having chartered previously in
the BVI & Seychelles.

Thanks
Bernard

Peter Aitken

"Bernard" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi!

My wife & I are doing a bareboat charter, from Sunsail, out of Gocek in
July, and would welcome any info, tips, places of interest, anchorages,
etc on cruising in this part of the world.

We have never cruised in the Med before, having chartered previously in
the BVI & Seychelles.

Thanks
Bernard

LOL! From your subject I had visions of a gobbler at the helm!

--
Peter Aitken

chris11211

Bernard wrote:
Hi!

My wife & I are doing a bareboat charter, from Sunsail, out of Gocek in
July, and would welcome any info, tips, places of interest, anchorages,
etc on cruising in this part of the world.

We have never cruised in the Med before, having chartered previously in
the BVI & Seychelles.

Thanks
Bernard

What is the duration of the charter? One week or two.?

As most people opt for the one week version, I would suggest planning
to spend time in the Skopea. You can be in a different anchorage each
night, and have lots of great sailing by hopping around to some of the
swimming spots, etc.

In the Skopea, our favourite two places are Sarsala, and Wall Bay.

The restaurant in both places seems to be a bit better than most of the
others (They all have the same general atmosphere). Swimming in Sarsala
is very nice.

Wall Bay is great, and it is fun to take the dingy over to Ruin Bay,
and go for a swim at "Cleopatra's Bath".

If you venture past the Skopea, I would recommend working towards
Marmaris. Netsel Marina has the nicest showers in the area.
Between the Skopea and Marmaris, the best anchorage is Ekincik
(eh-kin-chik). "My marina" is the restaurant, and although it is
expensive by Turkish standards, it is certainly worth the visit. We
usually make it our final night's destination.

Sunsail has an office in Netsel, so I suspect you would be able to use
the pontoon for free.......
-Sometimes it is hard to get good weather reports, other than when in
the large Marinas. We buy a Turkish phone chip, and we ask the Charter
Company to text us any weather notices.....plus:

We were in one of the anchorages last year, and the gearbox failed on
our boat. Mobile call....tech sent out.....but without the mobile, it
would have been more of a challenge.

Imray G36 is the chart we use.

It is going to be HOT....you may want to invest in a small 12v fan
(like the ones sold for autos).
In many of the coves, there are lots of wasps. Wait until dark before
heading to the restaurants. It'll make the meal much more relaxing.

Have a great trip. It is a fantastic place. We have been there 6
times so far, and this year we are looking to purchase a boat
there........

Bernard

Thanks for all the advice / info.

Regards