Frank

Default FYI - boat shopping

Hi,

I just wanted to share my news. I've booked a flight to New Orleans for
Memorial Day weekend through June 7th to shop for a new (used) boat for
our family cruise. I'll mostly be shopping in the New Orleans area; but
there are two boats I want to see near St. Petersburg, Fl. So I'll be
taking a quick drive there.

Top contenders based on yachtworld.com and e-mails are a Freedom 32 and
a C&C 39, a couple of examples of each to look at. If none of those
pans out, it'll probably wind up being a generic mid-30-foot
Catalina/Hunter/Beneteau/whatever.

I'll give y'all a trip report when I return.

I'm excited!

Frank

Frank

Ahhh, yes the Whatever 35. What a helluva boat! I should never have
included it with the others. Anyone I know would feel privileged to get
their hands on a fabled Whatever 35. They don't make 'em like that
anymore! Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!

As for N.O. to St. Pete being a "quick" drive, we've done a lot of
travelling over the years, and that one is shorter than a lot of runs
we typically make, even for a quick visit, e.g. Seattle to San Diego to
visit my wife's dad. Perspective is everything.

Having a lead foot doesn't hurt, either.

Frank, fato profugus

DSK

Frank wrote:
Hi,

I just wanted to share my news. I've booked a flight to New Orleans for
Memorial Day weekend through June 7th to shop for a new (used) boat for
our family cruise. I'll mostly be shopping in the New Orleans area; but
there are two boats I want to see near St. Petersburg, Fl. So I'll be
taking a quick drive there.

Top contenders based on yachtworld.com and e-mails are a Freedom 32 and
a C&C 39, a couple of examples of each to look at. If none of those
pans out, it'll probably wind up being a generic mid-30-foot
Catalina/Hunter/Beneteau/whatever.

I'll give y'all a trip report when I return.

I'm excited!

Sounds very cool. It also sounds like you're focussed on getting a
practical boat rather than the perfect boat... an approach that makes
too much sense... you're making the rest of us look bad!

Good luck & happy hunting!
Doug King

Frank

DSK wrote:
Sounds very cool. It also sounds like you're focussed on getting a
practical boat rather than the perfect boat... an approach that makes

too much sense... you're making the rest of us look bad!

Hey! If I'm more time-efficient than Skip, I'll be happy. grin

Frank (wanting to be done with the purchase/prep and out on the water!)

Frank

Well, I'm back from boat shopping and eating my way around New Orleans.
Yum! I feel ten pounds heavier. Oh well...

Oh yeah, and I bought a boat. Wound up making a deal in the "whatever"
range, a 1985 Hunter 34. The price was right and we're just going
island hopping, nothing too strenuous; so I'm ok with this decision. If
you feel the need to rank on Hunter quality, go ahead; I won't argue.

I'm excited to get back to N.O. to start refit and prep. Then it's off
to the Caribbean for a nice, long cruise.

More later,

Cap'n Frank and krewe
s/v Zombie Princess of New Orleans