Richard Kaplan

Default Advice on Gaining Proficiency Docking/Handling Motoryachts

I just finished my second 3-day instruction/charter cruise on a motorboat --
last year with my family on a 42 foot single-engine trawler with side
thrusters and this year on a 54 foot twin-engine Bluewater. I feel I have
learned quite a bit and the bookwork/charts/navigation/systems are not a
problem but I am left puzzled regarding a good plan to gain proficiency
docking in a variety of current/wind/dock layout situations. Short of
bringing a captain with me on lots of these trips, what is a reasonable plan
and set of personal limits? Is there docking "simulator" software available
to help? What guidelines do you have for when you feel ready to handle a
given boat? What type of boat would you suggest initially if the goal is to
cruise the intercoastal with a family of 5?

It seems to me that handling the boat in light wind/current situations is
not a problem but weather can always change. I suppose anchoring until
winds calm down is a possibility though perhaps not a practical one. The
best plan seems to be to initially visit only marinas with a seawall or
deadhead layout and not a slip and certainly not a situation requiring
backing into a slip.

Perhaps there is an analogy here to aviation, with which I have much more
experience. If a new pilot were to come to me and propose flying a large
plane on practical family trips soon after getting his license, I would
encourage him to instead gradually build experience in smaller airplanes.
That does not seem to be as common in boating however -- is it reasonable
for a relatively neophyte boater to rent a 40-50 foot boat as his first
venture into cruising? How much experience is reasonable before taking the
boat out alone?

----------------------
Richard Kaplan

www.flyimc.com

Brian Whatcott

On Fri, 20 May 2005 22:16:13 -0400, "Richard Kaplan"
wrote:
-- is it reasonable
for a relatively neophyte boater to rent a 40-50 foot boat as his first
venture into cruising? How much experience is reasonable before taking the
boat out alone?

----------------------
Richard Kaplan

www.flyimc.com

Seems to me that a neophyte who is confident to go with a big boat may
easily get in trouble.
But a neophyte who is not fully confident, (like you?) would do well
to take a few local trips on smaller boats first.

Regards

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Richard Kaplan

"Brian Whatcott" wrote in message

But a neophyte who is not fully confident, (like you?) would do well
to take a few local trips on smaller boats first.

That seems like great advice.. but I am wondering the extent to which the
experience will carry over from one situation to another. Small boats do
not need to pivot on bow lines when leaving a dock, small boats do not have
bow thrusters, small boats are not steered by pivoting on two engines with
transmissions in opposite directions, small boats do not have the same risk
of getting pinned on a pylon in a slip, etc.

----------------------
Richard Kaplan

www.flyimc.com

Boots

I use to throw a lifejacket in the water and practice
docking up to it and not touch it in all kind of conditions.
Works quite well. If you hit it so what and try again
wrote:
-- is it reasonable
for a relatively neophyte boater to rent a 40-50 foot boat

as his first
venture into cruising? How much experience is reasonable

before taking the
boat out alone?

----------------------
Richard Kaplan

www.flyimc.com

Seems to me that a neophyte who is confident to go with a
big boat may
easily get in trouble.
But a neophyte who is not fully confident, (like you?) would
do well
to take a few local trips on smaller boats first.

Regards

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

otnmbrd

Richard Kaplan wrote:
I just finished my second 3-day instruction/charter cruise on a motorboat --
last year with my family on a 42 foot single-engine trawler with side
thrusters and this year on a 54 foot twin-engine Bluewater. I feel I have
learned quite a bit and the bookwork/charts/navigation/systems are not a
problem but I am left puzzled regarding a good plan to gain proficiency
docking in a variety of current/wind/dock layout situations. Short of
bringing a captain with me on lots of these trips, what is a reasonable plan
and set of personal limits? Is there docking "simulator" software available
to help? What guidelines do you have for when you feel ready to handle a
given boat? What type of boat would you suggest initially if the goal is to
cruise the intercoastal with a family of 5?

Basically, boat handling is boat handling. The biggest factor of size is
relativity.
A bigger boat may act slower to helm or engine(s), may be more/less
affected by wind and current, etc., but the basic parameters are the same.
There are two types of boat handlers ... mechanics (good and bad), those
who have some degree of knowledge of the "mechanics" of boat handling
and make good or little use of those mechanics, and naturals, those who
just have a "natural" feel for the boat and conditions, and do it with
ease. (this latter is made up of 0.05% of all boaters).
If you consider wind, current, propwalk, line handling, your enemy, you
fall in the mechanic group .... go slow, go easy, always have a way out.
Be aware that no matter how good you may be, conditions may occur that
are beyond your or your vessels capabilities.
G Relax, if you successfully handled the two type boats above and
understand the "mechanics", proficiency will come in time ..... maybe.
Just take it slow, plan ahead, always have an escape route, analyze each
docking looking for ways to improve, never be afraid to go around or say
no, and don't pay any attention to someone who tells you to never use
rudders on a twin screw boat EG.

otn

Jere Lull

In article 1116692195.812da04f9fcd21d86bdcaa70bd4a0e9e@teran ews,
"Richard Kaplan" wrote:

I just finished my second 3-day instruction/charter cruise on a
motorboat -- last year with my family on a 42 foot single-engine
trawler with side thrusters and this year on a 54 foot twin-engine
Bluewater. I feel I have learned quite a bit and the
bookwork/charts/navigation/systems are not a problem but I am left
puzzled regarding a good plan to gain proficiency docking in a
variety of current/wind/dock layout situations. Short of bringing a
captain with me on lots of these trips, what is a reasonable plan and
set of personal limits? Is there docking "simulator" software
available to help? What guidelines do you have for when you feel
ready to handle a given boat?

As usual, practice, practice, practice, as every boat handles
differently. Safest is to throw something that floats out in a quiet
place and come up to it under various conditions.

Expect conditions to be more difficult when you return and you won't
often be disappointed.

What type of boat would you suggest initially if the goal is to
cruise the intercoastal with a family of 5?

Personally, I'd go for smaller rather than larger for a multitude of
reasons. 50+ feet is a LOT of boat. Beyond that, it's personal choice
and you will have 5 or more opinions to reconcile.

--
Jere Lull
Jeff

Richard Kaplan wrote:

What type of boat would you suggest initially if the goal is to
cruise the intercoastal with a family of 5?

We went with a 36 foot catamaran and thought we were one of the
largest family cruisers along the way. Of course, the small sailboat
crowd and the large powerboat crowd didn't mix a lot, but we made
friends with a number of families that were on smaller sailboats. In
fact, I don't recall ever seeing families on the larger boats; they
all seemed to be profession deliveries. I do recall talking with one
large boat owner about the difficulties of finding dockage - He said
he makes his reservations 6 months to a year in advance

When we were preparing for this trip a cruising friend who has done
the migration annually for most of the last 25 years advised that we
buy a 35-40 foot powerboat specifically for the trip, since we were
unlikely to do much sailing. (He was right about the "not much
sailing" part, but the ride in rough seas is much better than most
powerboats.)

I was just chatting with a marina neighbor who was asking if he could
take his liveaboard 58 foot powerboat on some of the canals we've been
on, such as the Erie. When I pointed out that he might consider a
short term swap with his best buddy, who lives on 36 footer his eyes
lit up as he realized he might be able to take a vacation without
spending thousands on fuel.

Although I'm always a bit envious when I step on board a larger boat,
I really have no desire to own one. Life is so much easier with a
boat that's well within your skill level to handle and maintain.

Michael

Probably a repeat of answers my Catch Up button deleted but:

When you get on any new boat there is a 'getting to know you' phase. If
possible go out with the present owner and watch for quirks and odd
differences no matter how minor. Practice out in the clear water using a
soft buoy as a target point and approaching it from all directions. Take a
floating orange seat cushion and do some Williamson turns. During this use
whatever the boat has...single prop, twin props, forward and reverse, bow
thrusters whatever. Then bring her back in and cruise the harbor/marina and
practice on different empty spaces. Won't be long before the comfort zone
is reached. Also the comfort zone of the owner will appreciate as well.
Fun thing to practice with twin screws and bow thrusters is walking the boat
sideways or in a back, over, up, over pattern. Don't forget spring lines.
Finally, see what the boat will do in an emergency at different speeds and
conditions. Turning, backing down, Reversing. En route if you encounter
drastically different conditions....do a small test series til your
'emergency condition comfortable.'

If you are crossing the paths of large freighters aim to their stern but
don't follow the stern. You don't know what they are masking and as they
pull away anything behind them will be easily seen in plenty of time.

That's it

M.