Roger Long

Default New bilge pump system for our boat.

Following posts and discussion about some aspects of this system, some
of you might want to see how it all came together.

http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma/Bilge.htm

--

Roger Long

rhys

On Sat, 14 May 2005 16:22:47 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

Following posts and discussion about some aspects of this system, some
of you might want to see how it all came together.

http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma/Bilge.htm

Looks great to me. Damn. I just have a manual Whale Gusher because my
"bilge" is just a one gallon or so sump in front of the mast step.

I would like to see, Roger, how you routed your cockpit scuppers. I
have debated T-ing the starboard into the port scupper, because it is
very hard to get at the starboard, but I have also debated glassing in
standpipes for the scuppers and in the galley to reduce the number of
below-the-waterline seacocks, if not holes in the bottom.

Has anyone installed a "strum box"?

R.

Roger Long

"rhys" wrote in message I would like to see,
Roger, how you routed your cockpit scuppers.

There isn't much to show. The route is the shortest distance between
two points. I should be able to look right through and see the water
going by.

The drains go straight down at the aft corners and then bend just
enough to bring the hose perpendicular to the hull. The hose will
only be about 12 inches long so there is no way to put much of a bend
in the heavy, wire reinforced, exhaust hose. The hose will be secured
in the cockpit scuppers and the through hulls run into it as they are
installed.

The through hulls come out in the boot top. Even though they are
above the waterline, I would like to have sea cocks but there isn't
room. The end of the through hull brings the flooding point (assuming
hose breakage) 7 - 10 inches above the waterline which I think is
sufficient margin for a very rugged hose that has no standing water
pressure on it.

The downside of this arrangement is that water will probably spout
back in some sea conditions. I think that is a small price to pay for
scuppers I can clear with a stick and which will drain fast. If
necessary, I'll carry a couple of corks to stick in them. When it
gets rough enough that water is coming in over the rails, I'll pull
the corks.

I'm sure they will gurgle as well but that's a sound I've always
liked. It makes a boat seem more alive.

--

Roger Long