Whistledown

Default paint blisters seeping oil------ wtf?

So I have some small blisters in the paint toward the top of the
freeboard (dime to quarter sized and not that many) Been there for a
while but I'm just now getting to them. I was thinking that it was
water seeping in through the chain plates and that I'd need to re-seal
those plates. Most, but not all of the blisters occur under the chain
plates or a stancion.

I burst one of the blisters and something looking like 10/30 motor oil
came out. WTF ? It isn't motor oil as far as I can tell. It is sticky,
unlike oil, and doesn't smell like anything. A fella on the dock
suggested this may be part of the priming from the last paint job and
that they bulloxed it up, hence the blisters?

Any suggestions, ideas?

Mike G

In article .com,
says...
So I have some small blisters in the paint toward the top of the
freeboard (dime to quarter sized and not that many) Been there for a
while but I'm just now getting to them. I was thinking that it was
water seeping in through the chain plates and that I'd need to re-seal
those plates. Most, but not all of the blisters occur under the chain
plates or a stancion.

I burst one of the blisters and something looking like 10/30 motor oil
came out. WTF ? It isn't motor oil as far as I can tell. It is sticky,
unlike oil, and doesn't smell like anything. A fella on the dock
suggested this may be part of the priming from the last paint job and
that they bulloxed it up, hence the blisters?

Any suggestions, ideas?

Paint, non latex that is, is made up of a carrier/thinner, usually
mineral spirts, pigments, and a fixer/curing oil. There may or may not
be varnish like resins included.

In past times the oil would have been tung, boiled linseed oil, or raw
linseed oil. These days it could also have been a form of modified soy
oil.

In any case that is the most likely source of the oil

When treating wood with an oil finish it is not uncommon to, especially
on open pored wood, have some oil bleed back out of the wood as it
cures. With paint, maybe.

A curing oil cures by oxidation and naturally needs exposure to fully
cure. A prolonged process I may add. Very prolonged if the base is raw
linseed oil. My only guess as to what happened, and I strongly stress
the word guess, is that a heavy coat or coats of paint was applied in
direct hot sun and the paint skinned over before the oil had a chance to
fully cure and you are seeing some residual trapped oil probably
migrating towards small voids and then caused the blisters.

--
Mike G.
Heirloom Woods

www.heirloom-woods.net

Whistledown

The oily stuff is sticky. It does not smell like amonia. It smells
kinda sweet, almost syurpy. I'm going to pop them, let them drain,
feather the edges, apply fairing compound, feather that, then touch up
with paint until the boat can get pulled for a new paint job.

How does that plan sound?

Jere Lull

In article .com,
"Whistledown" wrote:

The oily stuff is sticky. It does not smell like amonia. It smells
kinda sweet, almost syurpy. I'm going to pop them, let them drain,
feather the edges, apply fairing compound, feather that, then touch up
with paint until the boat can get pulled for a new paint job.

How does that plan sound?

Don't forget to saturate the area with solvent to suck out any more
"stuff" in the area.

--
Jere Lull

Bruce on horizon

What kind of paint is on your boat?
Bruce

--
Shield Finishes and Nauticoat Marine Finish Systems
www.shieldfinishes.com
"Whistledown" wrote in message
oups.com...
So I have some small blisters in the paint toward the top of the
freeboard (dime to quarter sized and not that many) Been there for a
while but I'm just now getting to them. I was thinking that it was
water seeping in through the chain plates and that I'd need to re-seal
those plates. Most, but not all of the blisters occur under the chain
plates or a stancion.

I burst one of the blisters and something looking like 10/30 motor oil
came out. WTF ? It isn't motor oil as far as I can tell. It is sticky,
unlike oil, and doesn't smell like anything. A fella on the dock
suggested this may be part of the priming from the last paint job and
that they bulloxed it up, hence the blisters?

Any suggestions, ideas?

Whistledown

Paint brand I don't know. It's marine LP. An old salt looked at it
and said it was probably from a ****ty gel-coat. The boat is a 1964
Spencer which is way before the phase of fiber-glass blister factory
technique defect.