Steve

Default Alaska (Inside Passage) questions?

I've been looking through a couple nice cruising guides that give some
descriptions of the facilities (or lack of) at various places along The
Inside Passage (Puget Sound to Juneau).

The mention of Mooring Floats is of interest to me. Am I correct that these
are "off shore" and to be used in stead of anchoring?? Some times these are
mentioned as "City Floats", "State Floats", etc. Or are these floats part of
a dock structure (attached to shore).

Now the dumb question: If these are public floats and the Harbor Master
directs me to one of them, is there a fee for day use or for over night
moorage.

Since some mention water and power being available I assume there would be
some fees due. (I seldom need power and can get water when I stop for fuel.)
I Have shower onboard so I'm not interested in moorage at a full service
marina.

Next question: If I see mention of "marine grid", are these still used and
if so are they public or private facilities. If public, how would I know and
who would I contact?? I'm thinking, a quick coat of A/F paint between tides,
(on the cheap!). I'll have the bottom scrubbed before I leave here.

I guess that's about it for now..

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Tamaroak

I never saw or heard mention of any of these floats from a dockmaster.
We stayed at the public docks and always got in. They are cheaper than
other places. We saw a grid being used at Wrangel, and someone told us
you could just reserve the time. Have a great trip!

Capt. jeff
Steve

"Tamaroak" wrote in message
I never saw or heard mention of any of these floats from a dockmaster.

I think this author, of Marine Atlas, is using the term "floats" when
referring to floating docks, as opposed to a fixed pier. However, I did note
a few references to floats without access to shore.

Thanks again Jeff.

Steve

Paul L

There are a number of state owned docks (that float) in out of the way
places in SE Alaska. These are first come, first serve, with no charge. Some
of them have ramps to the shore, a number of them do not. In the larger
towns you will find harbors with paid slips. The slip fees are usually very
reasonable, as they cater to the fishing industry.

Paul
"Steve" wrote in message

"Tamaroak" wrote in message
I never saw or heard mention of any of these floats from a dockmaster.

I think this author, of Marine Atlas, is using the term "floats" when
referring to floating docks, as opposed to a fixed pier. However, I did
note a few references to floats without access to shore.

Thanks again Jeff.

Steve

Steve

Thanks Paul,

Being "cheap" and preferring to avoid marinas, I use public docks and
moorings here in WA most of the year round. I don't need much in the way of
facilities. A Porta Potty and a dumpster for my galley trash is about all I
ask for. Ah! the simple cruising life. I would anchor out but the depth of
the water in many places preclude this.

Since just about all "Showers" north of San Francisco are pay showers, I try
to shower on board and if I have been motoring much, the water will be hot.

Speaking of pay showers: A little cruising "heads up" for the San Juans. I
stayed over nite at the marina at West Sound, Orcas Is.. Gathered a couple
bucks worth of quarters for the pay (hot) shower.. After about 5 min. and 5
quarters, I still didn't have any hot water. I then tried the right hand
knob and my last 3-4 quarter, I finally got about a minute of hot water.
Humm! I wonder why they would not have the valves labeled correctly??

As far as reasonable slip fees go, transient moorage is usually a bit high
compared to monthly clients. To be expected, I suppose. Here in Hood Canal,
$8 to $12 a night, plus $2/nite for elect. Pumpout is free at the state
float, $2 at Port of Allyn and about $6 at Pleasant Harbor.

Just feeling out the cruising cost factors. Fuel is going to be the biggest
item on this cruise. I managed to top off my tanks before the diesel fuel
went up last month. That is almost enough for the entire passage up but will
look for any good deals along the way.. I'm assuming I can get "died" diesel
at any facilities that specializes in boats and the fishing fleet. Since I
would prefer to take on diesel before returning or on the way back, I would
appreciate any tips on the best commercial fuel stops (that will sell to a
pleasure craft). Around here, it a marina sells fuel, the still charge about
the same price of diesel as you pay at your gas station, for your diesel
car. I suppose that is due to low volume but I suspect it has more to do
with "what ever the traffic will bare".

Thanks

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Gordon

Next question: If I see mention of "marine grid", are these still used and
if so are they public or private facilities. If public, how would I know

and
who would I contact?? I'm thinking, a quick coat of A/F paint between

tides,
(on the cheap!). I'll have the bottom scrubbed before I leave here.

There is a marine grid in the Port Angeles marina but it can no longer be
used because of environmental concerns.