BoatBanter.com

-   -   Lazy jacks (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/33550-lazy-jacks.html)

[email protected] April 11th 05 01:56 AM

Another S2, I have an 8.5 S2 set up for single handing. How is the 9.1
for single handing?
I have all the hardware for lazyjacks and a plan for a system that
should easily pull out of the way when hoisting sail. The plan is to
install it one day on a long leg of my cruise. It hasn't happened yet.

Tom R. wrote:
For me soloing my S2 9.1 they were terrific.

"Gordon" wrote in message
Lazy jacks, Yes or No?

Ask not for whom the terrorist bell tolls; it tolls for thee, and

thee,
and
thee--for decent, innocent people everywhere.

Rich Hampel April 11th 05 04:31 AM

Take a look at http://www.ezjax.com/ezjax/ the only time they are
deployed is when dropping the sail or holding in a reefed (and
unbunted) sail.
I have mine stored on the boom when raising. I swear by my
('home-made') ezjax equivalents. Once I put in the second and third
reefs I will tie in the reef lines; but, for a single reef I just lay
it in the ezjax.

.com,
wrote:

I get annoyed with my lazy jacks because the mainsail battens catch on
'em Every time I hoist the main.
While I appreciate the value of lazy jacks, the "damnit!" factor is
definitely gaining. I think they are going to get taken off this
spring...

Gary
http://home.ca.inter.net/~gkmd/sail/CarpeDiem.htm

Tom R. April 11th 05 11:38 PM

I would just let the lazyjacks go very slack when sailing and tighten them
when I sailed back into the mooring. I assume that there may have been some
sail chafe, but there were no signs of it. I looked at the Dutchman system,
but I felt (no experience nor investigation) that it interfered with sail
shape. It probably did not, but I just had a feeling.

The 9.1 demands a lot of attention to the tiller when sailing alone. It is a
very active boat. I considered a tiller lock for the longest amount of time.
Before I made the decision a friend gave me an Autohelm autopilot for the
tiller. I used to think that an autopilot violated the pristine virtues of
sailing, but I loved it. It allowed me to go further alone and it handled
well the lively activity of the 9.1 tiller.

Tom

ups.com...