Default Going to try cruising again

I dunno if stubborness is a virtue but I am going to try again to go
cruising and enjoy it (I'll enjoy this goddam it even if it kills me).
I have modified my plans so that I will go to the Keys from Sarasota
instead of going across the Okechobee waterway and them to the Bahamas.
Once in the Keys, I'll cruise for a couple weeks and then have her
hauled for the hot summer hurricane season and put back in in November.
In November, I'll continue to the Bahamas.
So.... As I will be first be leaving her and then having her hauled,
does anybody have any thoughts on minimizing costs. Is it less
expensive to leave her in the water or have her put up on dry land (28'
S2, weighs about 8000 lbs).
Unfortunately, the Keys are no longer the laid back inexpensive place I
remember from long ago and are now the land of Hilton, Hyatt and such
ilk. Are there ANY inexpensive places left in the Keys? I dont mind a
mooring or even sitting on the bottom at low tide. Years ago, I coulda
just tied her to some mangrove roots and put out a stern anchor and
been safe but civilization is both a blessing and curse. I do not need
ANY facilities since I have no shore power or water hookups. Any ideas?

Rosalie B.

[...]

At this time of year with people leaving you should be able to get a
mooring, either in KW or Marathon. Also there are moorings at Indian
Key and Lignum Vitae Key which are free. If you just want to anchor
somewhere, you can anchor outside Boot Key Harbor, or out by Sigsbee
past the mooring field while you are cruising. Also there's Bahia
Honda if you can get in there to anchor and a bunch of places on the
ICW. There's also a marina at Flamingo if you can get in there.

I don't know about less expensive, but I wouldn't want to have a boat
on a mooring during the hurricane season. Moorings are too insecure.
Also if I was going to leave my boat in FL, I'd want to have someone
periodically scrub the bottom, which you won't need if it is on the
hard.

grandma Rosalie
Jere Lull

In article .com,
wrote:

[...]

Do you HAVE to leave her in the Keys? Backtracking to the west coast for
hauling might save enough to more than pay for the extra days necessary
to get to the east coast, and you could do the Okechobee in any case.

--
Jere Lull
Xan's Pages: