rhys

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 00:50:58 GMT, Brian Whatcott
wrote:

"Heads" for pooping in are often plural: the heads of small barrels
or buckets can also be plural, but the head of a vessel is invariably
singular, is it not?

Not necessarily. I've heard these facilities referred to as "the
heads" on more than one occasion. Perhaps that means a two-holer
(port? starboard?) or perhaps it recalls the plural "catheads", one of
which lie on either side of the bow and are large wooden beams used in
lashing and belaying anchors on old square-riggers.

I assume it could also be "the 'heads", as in "the (cat)heads, where
the poop planks be, arrr, matey" and so on.

Funny how the poop is at the opposite end of the ship from the head,
but the sea is a mysterious place.

Oh, and Peggie, you have done service both personal and general on the
subject of marine sanitation for many years now. Yes, I know you sell
Raritans, and yes, I know you recommend other certain brands, but you
also don't hesitate to recommend Lavacs and W-Cs for those so inclined
and in the right situations.

I am neither so simon-pure nor so willfully ignorant so as to avoid
the sound advice of a reasonable vendor, and I believe I possess the
wit to determine an educated opinion from a sales pitch.

Time and again you've guided me to online resources and products
(which I can't buy from you regardless as I am thousands of miles
away) that have improved my waste disposal issues here on the Great
Lakes, where the options are few and the rules strict.

Please don't let Capt. Fiddlekid or whomever it is to stop your
helpful and informed posts. You exercise good judgment in drawing a
line between experienced advice and mercantile advocacy.

R.

Peggie Hall

rhys wrote:
Oh, and Peggie, you have done service both personal and general on the
subject of marine sanitation for many years now. Yes, I know you sell
Raritans...

That's a common misconception. I don't sell Raritan or anything else any
more...and haven't since I sold my own company--or more accurately, the
product line--to Raritan in Jan of 1999. I don't even sell my own
book...my publisher does. I only get a small royalty for each copy sold.

However, when I was in business, we were distributors/mail order
retailers for EVERY major mfr of marine sanitation equipment and
acessories, including Raritan. So I don't have any axe to grind whatever
by recommending one product or mfr over another, and never have..I've
always "called 'em as I see 'em" when it comes to what I think is the
best for a particular boat and its owner.

So while your kind words are based on a false premise, I do appreciate
'em!
--
Peggie
----------

rhys

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 21:42:32 GMT, Peggie Hall
wrote:

That's a common misconception. I don't sell Raritan or anything else any
more...and haven't since I sold my own company--or more accurately, the
product line--to Raritan in Jan of 1999. I don't even sell my own
book...my publisher does. I only get a small royalty for each copy sold.

OK, even better in the sense that I thought you were still a
marine-supplies merchant.

However, when I was in business, we were distributors/mail order
retailers for EVERY major mfr of marine sanitation equipment and
acessories, including Raritan. So I don't have any axe to grind whatever
by recommending one product or mfr over another, and never have..I've
always "called 'em as I see 'em" when it comes to what I think is the
best for a particular boat and its owner.

So while your kind words are based on a false premise, I do appreciate
'em!

Not a problem..and I can't understand someone who would criticize you
on the basis of being a FORMER vendor of sea-going toilets G.

R.