Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Michael

Default Buying a Sailboat

Boat Buying Sailboat

I have been doing research on boat purchasing.

It has been suggested that the NADA values of boats are relative to
the asking price and not the actual selling price. As I understand
that these values are provided by the brokers and therefore - the
greater the price the more the commission - I wouldnt know if this was
the practice or not. Although I dont think that on the average older
26 ft sailing crusier it would make a difference.

What is considered the average lenght of time it takes to sell a older
26 ft sailing crusier?

Many of the boats I have seen lack any detailing. Namely, it can be
seen by how clean the heads floor is.

Most boats at the 20 year mark probably need:

- rudder rebuild
- standing rigging replacement
- running rigging replacement
- bottom paint
- motor maintenance or replacement
- battery replacement
- many have original sails
- cushion replacement and uphostering
- port lights

The most signicant would be deck moisture or delamination. On a older
26 ft sailing crusier that needed a recore what would you figure as a
price of this repair and how much would or should it effect the
purchase price?

How would you figure what the value of a boat was given the above or
combination thereof?

Would the cost be:
-what it would cost to have a third party do the work like the Yard

Or

-would you figure what the cost of the parts are and not consider the
value of the work that you would do yourself.

How would you determine what the actual worth of the boat is?

As a percentage, is there a standard that you would use to make an
offer less than asking price?

----------------------
"Consider an offer that is 20-40% below NADA value. Adjust your
offer based on the seller's situation (see Types Of Sellers above.)
If you get a remarkable deal, go with it. If not, tell the seller
that you will leave your offer on the table for a couple of days."

"Its always a buyer's market for used boats. You owe it to yourself
to get the best deal possible. Remember, you're going to have to pay
to repair some hidden things after you buy the boat. Those hidden
things were likely not disclosed by the seller whom you may feel bad
about "low-balling." Besides, many sellers will just be happy to get
rid of their boat. Use this to your advantage. Sellers may frown at
your initial offer, but secretly most will be happy to have some
action."

http://www.firstboat.schoolreference.com/

-Good thoughts on the logic of "low-balling" on the purchase price.

Please respond to forum...Thanks

Sailboat as powered cruiser? BllFs6 General 14 November 16th 04 04:15 PM
??? M.L. Browne General 0 May 17th 04 04:38 PM
WHY SAILBOATS ARE BETTER THAN WOMEN Sail Bum ASA 3 May 14th 04 04:36 PM
WHY SAILBOATS ARE BETTER THAN WOMEN Sail Bum General 0 May 14th 04 04:16 AM
Repost - this is so good it deserves to be read more than once Simple Simon ASA 12 October 20th 03 10:33 PM