BoatBanter.com

-   -   ssb (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/29428-ssb.html)

Doug Dotson March 28th 05 10:46 PM

Been there, done that.

"Bruce in Alaska" wrote in message
In article ,
"Doug Dotson" dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote:

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
John Proctor wrote in
news:2005032710245316807%lost@nowhereorg:

Jim, I think it is a matter of degree. One should be prepared for the
worst. A backup system must be available for reliable first time use
when the chips are down. Yes 90% of the time you will have no problem
using a backstay. The point I was trying to make is that there are
alternatives which can give good (notice I didn't say great!) service
which address other reliability issues.

Good idea. Lionheart is equipped with a 406 Mhz EPIRB with its own GPS
receiver built right inside.....

If the mast comes down or other catastrophy happens, just push that
little
button.....

I'm not sure a dismasting rises to the level of a MAYDAY. I'd like to be
able
to be able to seek help and advise via SSB before resorting to declaring
an
emergency.

DOug

that is why you have a coiled up dipole antenna in the emergency kit,
under the bunk, that can be strung up with what is left of the mast,
or broomstick, as the case may be..............

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @

Terry Spragg April 1st 05 03:19 AM

Larry W4CSC wrote:

Terry Spragg wrote in news:RtSdnZBYQIYn-
:

Beeswax, I say!

Wonder why all the world's militarys don't run these amazing Outbacker
home-made-lookin' antennas?

Hell, I'm amazed Radio Moscow isn't using one!

Well, consider what a nuclear EMP would do to cheap solid state AE
voltage and current sensing circuitry. The military uses auto
bandswitched tapped coil selectors to tune the antenna stump, and
hang the mismatch, it's a vacuum tube output and rf amp reciever
world, laddy, when the nukes are going tactical.

Your car will die, your house will be dark, but the troops will
still be able to find the coffee truck.

You will be out in your driveway trying to fit your standby / backup
carurettor, distributor, points and coil, right? Don't forget to
stock up on duct tape and a year's supply of milled flour and
strawberry jam.

Terry K

Larry W4CSC April 2nd 05 12:00 AM

Terry Spragg wrote in
:

Your car will die, your house will be dark, but the troops will
still be able to find the coffee truck.

You will be out in your driveway trying to fit your standby / backup
carurettor, distributor, points and coil, right? Don't forget to
stock up on duct tape and a year's supply of milled flour and
strawberry jam.

Terry K

Not here....My 1973 Mercedes 220 Diesel will run fine....except maybe for
the quartz clock, the only electronic gadget in the whole car! Wonder what
the EMP will do to the mechanical voltage regulator?? It may blow the
rectifiers in the alternator, but that's not important as the only thing
the battery is used for is starting and lighting.....

Gordon April 2nd 05 02:04 AM

You guys watch too many sci-fi flicks. I used to work in a facility that
bombarded chips and then retested same. The test failures were discarded and
those that passed were considered hardened and were installed in missles and
silos. The greater percentage passed the tests, therefore your quartz clock
would probably survive.

Larry W4CSC April 2nd 05 02:05 PM

"Gordon" wrote in
:

You guys watch too many sci-fi flicks. I used to work in a facility
that
bombarded chips and then retested same. The test failures were
discarded and those that passed were considered hardened and were
installed in missles and silos. The greater percentage passed the
tests, therefore your quartz clock would probably survive.

I used to work in the Metrology Engineering Center (Code 132) of the
Charleston Naval Shipyard. This astute title got me free engineering
magazines and "stuff" from all over sent to the shop. Someone sent me a
test IC called a "Nuclear Event Detector". What its purpose was was to
detect the EMP BEFORE it could trash the data in the onboard computer of
whatever military machine you were piloting, shutting down the computer
temporarily until the event pulse had passed.

I sat there shaking my head in dismay that there were those who actually
think we could survive one of the major weapons to the point where we'd
need the computer's data.....

I forget who made it....Fairchild, perhaps.

I also was sent the developer's tool kit for the Signetics WOM technology.
WOM - Write Only Memory. The kit came with very professional-looking
documentation, including a graph of filament voltage against filament
current, that dropped, suddenly, as the filament opened around 8V. It also
came with custom Signetics glasses-nose-moustache disguise so you wouldn't
become the brunt of any office jokes while designing with Signetics WOM
technology. The IC pinout was rather simple. Pin 1 was "data in". All
the other pins, except for the filament pins 4 and 5 were NC, not
connected. WOM technology was touted in the literature as a very
successful bit bucket, insignificant bit storage, unused serial port
(obviously it was a serial data device and the literature said so) data
repository and a whole list of humourous uses.

I've often wondered how many WOMs the lesser-educated government
procurement bureaucrats have warehoused in some climate-controlled storage
facility with the Nuclear Event Detectors.....(c;

We could hook the NEDs in between the insignificant bit data stream and the
WOMs to protect them!

Jack Painter April 2nd 05 08:57 PM

"Larry W4CSC" wrote

I sat there shaking my head in dismay that there were those who actually
think we could survive one of the major weapons to the point where we'd
need the computer's data.....

Pretty interesting cold war article here...

Electromagnetic Pulse and the Radio Amateur
Copyright © 1986 by the American Radio Relay League, Inc. All rights
reserved.
Part 1 appears in QST August 1986, pp. 15-20, 36
(http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/pdf/88615.pdf)
Part 2 appears in QST September 1986, pp. 22-26
(http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/pdf/98622.pdf)
Part 3 appears in QST October 1986, pp. 38-41
(http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/pdf/108638.pdf)
Part 4 appears in QST November 1986, pp. 30-34
(http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/pdf/118630.pdf)

Jack