Default Deciding On First Sailboat

A little (or perhaps too much) background. I am relatively new to
sailing. I have completed ASA 101-104, I have been sailing on a rented
22' sailboat, and I have read everything available sailboats and
sailing (though not all is assimulated). I know this:
-most of my sailing will be solo, though occasionally I will sail
with my wife and two large teenagers. Nevertheless, most of the time I
will be single-handling (I have many books on the subject and am aware
of the options I should explore rigging, etc.). I am not sailing to
meet or mingle. My definition of 'hell' is sitting on a sailboat with a
bunch of drunk people listening to Jimmy Buffet music; no offense, but
I'm sort of the ex-hippie type.
- second, most of my sailing will be daysailing and 1-2 night cruises
on the northern to central Chesapeake. HOWEVER, I want the capacity to
go coastal, and when I go coastal I am more likely to head towards
Maine and Canada than the Carribean.I essentially do not work between
May-Sep., so I plan some longer excursions, but I do have a wife and
kid, so for now I would never go out for more than a couple of weeks.
-third, there is a remote chance that I may someday try an Atlantic
crossing, as I am an extreme athlete (ironmans, eco-challenge, mountain
climbing), and am subsequently motivated by the 'because it's there
philosophy'. I am getting too old for these other sports (50-something)
and sailing is my new lifestyle adventure.I suspect that I will want to
do something a bit more risky. I, however, do not want to weight
'bluewater capable' too heavily in my selection, as this is more
phantasy than reality for me at this point. And this topic has been
adressed many times in this forum.
I am limited to about 70k. I am looking at older boats.
Aesthetically, I like the traditional look.That is, the boats that
appeal to my eye are heavy and, with exceptions, slower, and, I
suspect, particularly slow on the Chesapeake.I confess that speed is an
issue for me, not absolute speed, but speed relative to other
sailboats, because I am by nature a Type A competitor and resent being
passed. Alternatively stated, I suspect that if I bought a Westsail or
Perry 36, I would regret it. The BCC, on the other hand, seems to be
faster.
So, I am looking for a boat that is relatively fast, but also steady
and sturdy in moderately rough weather, and points well when
single-handling. I, of course, need a keel/rudder/displacement
configuration that will allow me to moor or dock the boat without
scaring you as to whether I am going to hit you (again, my
understanding is that the Westsail would not be good for single-handed
daysailing 2-3 times per week). I am also looking for a boat that will
hold some of its value if I put sweat equity into it. Most of my
serious contenders fall between 30-38'. I am looking at:
-Bristol 31.1 and 35.5 (very few available)
-1980 Tarton 37 (love their interiors and exteriors, though nervous
about cored hull)
-I love the Bristol Channel Cutter (it's so cute it says 'up
yours')($$$)
- early 80's Pacific Seacraft 31 (but too expensive)
- early 80's pearson 365
-1983 Ericson 38
-1978 Shannon 38
-1985 Wausquiez 33
- 32-34' Sabre from mid-80's
-I am also looking at C&C 38 Landfall (nervous about older hull and
deck) and Freedoms in the 36' range (nervous about hull)
-And yes,economics may determine that I end up with something like
a Catalina 34 (I like the looks and differ with those who call it
'plain vanilla) or Beneteau First 345-375 - not crazy about exterior,
but there is another side of me (the hippie turned yuppie) that likes
the 'euro'interior look.It certainly looks like a buyer's
market for Beneteaus
I am not asking for feedback on each one of these boats (have
various reviews from practical sailer, Horner, boatus,this site and
others, etc.), but want to know if any of these may be particularly
weak or strong in meeting my criteria: not slow, can dock single-handed
without great risk (I have read quite a bit about this issue and plan
to get private instruction), is likely to have a reliable hull/deck,and
would be able to handle moderately rough weather on an extended coastal
cruise. If, like the BCC, it can cross the Atlantic, hey, that's
great.Thanks

Don White

Wow wee...... good thing you're starting small!
Just kiddin'.......I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. I had some of the
same requirements and goals on a fraction of your ambitions and resources.
I went with a trailerable sailboat. good luck!

Lew Hodgett

Subject

I single handed a 30 ft boat all over the lower Great lakes for several
years including a couple of 1 month cruises.

30 ft is about optimum when it comes to a lot of things like handling,
over night dockage, etc.

Find a 30 ft Catalina.

There are lots of them out there.

After the round of depreciation, they tend to hold their value, so when
it comes time to sell, your sailing will not have cost you a lot of
money thru further depreciation.

SFWIW, I'm about as type "A" as they get until I step aboard a boat,
then a transformation takes place.

Sailing and cruising are done in a 5 MPH world, relax and enjoy it.

You want to race, get a horse IMHO.G

Lew
Stephen Trapani

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Subject

I single handed a 30 ft boat all over the lower Great lakes for several
years including a couple of 1 month cruises.

30 ft is about optimum when it comes to a lot of things like handling,
over night dockage, etc.

Find a 30 ft Catalina.

I'm no sailboat expert but if you're going to recommend a Catalina, why
not a 34'? He's got the budget for it.

There are lots of them out there.

After the round of depreciation, they tend to hold their value, so when
it comes time to sell, your sailing will not have cost you a lot of
money thru further depreciation.

SFWIW, I'm about as type "A" as they get until I step aboard a boat,
then a transformation takes place.

Sailing and cruising are done in a 5 MPH world, relax and enjoy it.

You want to race, get a horse IMHO.G

Again, I disagree. Try: http://www.phrfne.org/page/567 The lower the
number, the faster the boat, but don't go crazy with it. The fastest
ones are poor designs for cruising comfort.

Stephen

Ken Heaton

Comments below:
"prodigal1" wrote in message
news
wrote:
snip
-I am also looking at C&C 38 Landfall (nervous about older hull and
deck) and Freedoms in the 36' range (nervous about hull)

Get a pre-opec C&C and all will be good. As to the other stuff, you're
stepping up 2.5-3x the weight you're used to. Inertia! Respect it.
Any 15000lb boat that starts getting sideways on you in a crosswind is
not going ever going to be easy to deal with on your own. Nice boats?
There's tons. Old Allied Seabreeze's, not particularly quick but
beautiful and they'll take you anywhere. Hinterhoeller Nonsuch models
are built for single handing, are cavernous below and hold their value
very well. In fact any Hinterhoeller boat is worth buying.

Speaking of Hinterhoeller, you may want to look at the Niagara 35.
http://www.cymagazine.ca/onlineExclu...veKeyword=5 7
http://sailquest.com/market/models/niag35.htm
There will be one going on sale in my area soon as the owner has passed
away. Beautifully kept boat.

Another choice, for less money, may be a C&C 35 Mark 1. You need 5 or 6 to
race this boat but one or two can handle it easily if you are cruising.
Solid hull laminate but cored deck. I know it's older than you are looking
for but well regarded.
See: http://www.sailingworld.com/article....=397&catID=571
and: http://www.sailingworld.com/article....=397&catID=571
--
Ken Heaton & Anne Tobin
Cape Breton Island, Canada

Wayne.B

On 22 Mar 2005 12:51:45 -0800, wrote:
[...]

=====================================

A number of the boats you mention have good track records but I
personally know of several people who have cruised and lived aboard
Pearson 365s. The boat seems to be a good compromise between size,
speed, comfort, etc., and is about as big a boat as I would want to
singlehand. Some of the older C&Cs such as the 35-1 and 35-2 are also
worth a look, as well as any of the Tartans or Ericsons in that size
range.

You will want a good reliable autopilot on any boat you choose. It
will allow you time to navigate and handle sails.

For ease of handling I would choose a self stacking, lazy jack
mainsail, and rig an inner forestay for a small, heavy weather jib
which is always on deck ready to go. For light air downwind I'd want
a cruising spinnaker with self snuffing sock.

Wayne.B

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 19:22:30 -0500, "Gabriel Latrémouille"
wrote:

Consider Alberg 30, Alberg37?

===========================

Solid boats but really sloooow by modern standards.

I want to thank those who replied to my question. I have looked at some
of the boats mentioned above; the Nonsuch(seems to me to be a good,
more affordable option to the Bristol Channel Cutter and, since it has
a Freedom-like set-up, is easier to single-hand). I have also been
keeping track of the CS36 (I consider Canada my second home - one for
sale in Annapolis), the Catalina 30 (tons of these on the market below
35k), the old Cherubini Hunter Cutter ( a diamond in the rough), and
the older C&C35. I have also read about the Dickerson (Ferenc Mate). I
have read, perhaps on this forum, that the Camper & Nicholsons had
serious blistering problems (any confirmation?).Note that my
familiarity with most of these boats is via the internet. I may go to
Annapolis this weekend to meet them.I am just trying to narrow my
options down. I will probably go with the boat that I ( after confirmed
by a surveyor) think is a good deal, given the criteria I outlined in a
have to run for cover when the weather turns moderately nasty; has a
solid hull, but is not slow; has traditional looks inside - I confess
to liking mohogany or 'teak caves'- and out (love the BCC)
Let me ask a more specific question(s).What displacement, keel,
rudder parameters make it very difficult to dock single-handed, even in
the relatively calm airs of the northern Chesapeake? I am assuming that
a real heavy (given LWL plus or minus 26-28') boat with a full-length
keel like the Westsail has would be very hard to dock by myself, or at
least be a pain in the butt if I daysail frequently - assume that I
will be docking under engine power.I am leaning toward a traditional
more heavily displacing boat whose LWL is greater than 26' so as to
give me decent internal room when I am in the company of three other
adults, but I do not want a boat with so heavy an initial stability
that I could out-swim it in lighter airs.
Thanks, Brian, sail out of Havre de Grace, MD - home, Lititz, PA
PS: anybody know of a broker in the Annapolis area who may be my 'cup
of tea'. The website of 'rouguewaves' out of Annapolis intrigues me.

Sailboat as powered cruiser? BllFs6 General 14 November 16th 04 04:15 PM
??? M.L. Browne General 0 May 17th 04 04:38 PM
WHY SAILBOATS ARE BETTER THAN WOMEN Sail Bum ASA 3 May 14th 04 04:36 PM
WHY SAILBOATS ARE BETTER THAN WOMEN Sail Bum General 0 May 14th 04 04:16 AM
Repost - this is so good it deserves to be read more than once Simple Simon ASA 12 October 20th 03 10:33 PM