Rolf

I own a 1984 Newport 33 which I sail out of San Francisco.
Here are my ideas.
For 1-2 week voyages in coatal waters a 30 to 33 ft boat is great, it
has enough storage and room for 2 people for this kind of trip. 70 gal
of water and 35 gal of diesel make this a great coastal boat. My
experience is that I use 20 to 25 gal of water for 2 people per day. I
like to take a shower at least once per day.

The old idea that for blue water you need a full keel boat is now
outdated. The new idea is that a fin keel, spade rudder is faster and
more maneuverable. I single hand my boat all the time, especially
during docking. Even if I have guests on board I don't rely on them to
help me. It is much safer to do it by yourself alone. You know what you
are doing.

If you want a boat to cross oceans, just space for the gear needed,
dictates at least a 36 ft boat. Average size for full time cruisers is
now 46 ft. A boat up to 50 ft can be handled by a husbband and wife
team where one does most of the actual sailing work.

For single handing, a super reliable auto pilot and a very reliable
engine are a must. If you want to sleep while under sail overnight, you
also need a good radar. So part of your budget has to reserved for
things you need to buy.
Rolf

wrote:
I want to thank those who replied to my question. I have looked at

some
of the boats mentioned above; the Nonsuch(seems to me to be a good,
more affordable option to the Bristol Channel Cutter and, since it

has
a Freedom-like set-up, is easier to single-hand). I have also been
keeping track of the CS36 (I consider Canada my second home - one for
sale in Annapolis), the Catalina 30 (tons of these on the market

below
35k), the old Cherubini Hunter Cutter ( a diamond in the rough), and
the older C&C35. I have also read about the Dickerson (Ferenc Mate).

have read, perhaps on this forum, that the Camper & Nicholsons had
serious blistering problems (any confirmation?).Note that my
familiarity with most of these boats is via the internet. I may go to
Annapolis this weekend to meet them.I am just trying to narrow my
options down. I will probably go with the boat that I ( after

confirmed
by a surveyor) think is a good deal, given the criteria I outlined in

have to run for cover when the weather turns moderately nasty; has a
solid hull, but is not slow; has traditional looks inside - I confess
to liking mohogany or 'teak caves'- and out (love the BCC)
Let me ask a more specific question(s).What displacement, keel,
rudder parameters make it very difficult to dock single-handed, even

in
the relatively calm airs of the northern Chesapeake? I am assuming

that
a real heavy (given LWL plus or minus 26-28') boat with a full-length
keel like the Westsail has would be very hard to dock by myself, or

at
least be a pain in the butt if I daysail frequently - assume that I
will be docking under engine power.I am leaning toward a traditional
more heavily displacing boat whose LWL is greater than 26' so as to
give me decent internal room when I am in the company of three other
adults, but I do not want a boat with so heavy an initial stability
that I could out-swim it in lighter airs.
Thanks, Brian, sail out of Havre de Grace, MD - home, Lititz, PA
PS: anybody know of a broker in the Annapolis area who may be my

'cup
of tea'. The website of 'rouguewaves' out of Annapolis intrigues me.

Sailct41

Read Dave Geer(?)'s the Nature of Boats it will help you choose the size you
really need and discusses the variables that may make you more satisfied.

Scott
wrote in message
oups.com...
I want to thank those who replied to my question. I have looked at some
of the boats mentioned above; the Nonsuch(seems to me to be a good,
more affordable option to the Bristol Channel Cutter and, since it has
a Freedom-like set-up, is easier to single-hand). I have also been
keeping track of the CS36 (I consider Canada my second home - one for
sale in Annapolis), the Catalina 30 (tons of these on the market below
35k), the old Cherubini Hunter Cutter ( a diamond in the rough), and
the older C&C35. I have also read about the Dickerson (Ferenc Mate). I
have read, perhaps on this forum, that the Camper & Nicholsons had
serious blistering problems (any confirmation?).Note that my
familiarity with most of these boats is via the internet. I may go to
Annapolis this weekend to meet them.I am just trying to narrow my
options down. I will probably go with the boat that I ( after confirmed
by a surveyor) think is a good deal, given the criteria I outlined in a
[...]

Jere Lull

In article .com,
wrote:

A little (or perhaps too much) background. I am relatively new to
sailing. I have completed ASA 101-104, I have been sailing on a rented
22' sailboat, and I have read everything available sailboats and
sailing (though not all is assimulated). I know this:

Having read the rest of the thread first, I suggest you honestly assess
what your probable sailing will be for the next few years (say 5-7
years) and get a boat that will do that well.

Too many people get the "ultimate" boat that's too big or clumsy -- for
their purposes -- because they think they might someday do long distance
cruising. Those boats largely sit unused at the dock, often because they
have to work extra time to pay off the debt.

We chose Xan (below) for the "next" 5 years, intending to do mostly day
trips and weekends, maybe doing a few weeks. A dozen years later, she
still suits our needs for the next 5 or so years: up to 3-6 months doing
the ICW and into the Bahamas, possibly the Virgins if we have time and
inclination, as we know she'll love them. 3-week trips are a piece of
cake, and we've gone halfway to Daytona (and reluctantly, back) without
difficulty. Since she's so simple and responsive, we sail when others
are motoring and I can put her anywhere I want under all conditions. We
also are on on the water between 60 and 80 days a season, since either
one of us can single-hand her comfortably. She's old and tough enough
that we gunkhole without fear. So far, we've found her to be an ideal
boat for the Chesapeake for a couple who sometimes has overnite visitors.

Of course we're always on the lookout for "the next boat", but that
definition has changed several times and is likely to change several
times again before we're ready.

Meanwhile, our checklist starts with trying the berths on for size,
since we like to sleep together and want a dedicated berth. That knocked
many boats out of the running. Next is the head, galley and stowage,
then the cockpit. Finally, we worry about undercarriage because the slow
boats get into the anchorage about the time the fast boats get their
anchors down --not all that much difference-- and a good set of sails
can help enormously. We have a full set of sails, including chute for
light air (which I also single-hand).

Oh, and she was and is CHEAP! The money we could have spent on a bigger
boat and keeping it up is appreciating nicely, even after the bubble
burst.

--
Jere Lull
Xan's Pages:

Sailboat as powered cruiser? BllFs6 General 14 November 16th 04 04:15 PM
??? M.L. Browne General 0 May 17th 04 04:38 PM
WHY SAILBOATS ARE BETTER THAN WOMEN Sail Bum ASA 3 May 14th 04 04:36 PM
WHY SAILBOATS ARE BETTER THAN WOMEN Sail Bum General 0 May 14th 04 04:16 AM
Repost - this is so good it deserves to be read more than once Simple Simon ASA 12 October 20th 03 10:33 PM