Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Roger Long

Default Head odor solution

One of the things I'm not looking forward to about sailing is head
odor, especially in a boat where we'll be sleeping on top of the
holding tank. I'm thinking of setting up an arrangement like this:

I'll put a tee with a valve into the head intake line just upstream
from the seacock. This will run to a plastic tank of two to five
gallons with a large diameter screw top and a hose with valve nearby
running to the fresh water system. Throw the deodorizer of your choice
into the tank and fill it with fresh water. Last flush of the day,
switch the head over to the tank so that fresh water and deodorizer
runs through everything. I wouldn't hard pipe the tank to the FW
system because there needs to be an airgap between it and any possible
connection to sewage.

Obviously not a solution for long distance cruising where fresh water
supply is an issue but, if you're doing that, you've probably gotten
used to odor.

--

Roger Long