Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Roger Long

Default Battery heresy

Calder points out how battery life is increased by minimizing
discharge level. No matter how many batteries you have in the boat,
you'll get maximum life by putting them in one bank. Keeping a
starting battery isolated and in reserve is obviously a necessary
compromise for most craft. However, with a 20 hp diesel, modest
starting loads, and the ability to hand start, I'm thinking that the
simplicity of a one bank system might make sense for a daysailing,
short cruise boat, that is docked with shore power. If the batteries
did get run down away from home, I'd be willing to hand start in
penance.

The key question is whether a two cylinder diesel like a 20 hp Yanmar
2QM can really be hand started or if it is an "only when your life
absolutely depends on it" kind of operation. I don't have much
experience with engines under 200 HP so I'd appreciate the benefit of
actual experience.

--

Roger Long

Interesting batteries Gould 0738 General 51 October 18th 04 11:42 PM
Removing battery David General 0 July 31st 04 04:28 PM
Deep cycle batteries - miscellaneous advice? Ric Electronics 15 December 29th 03 10:20 AM
alternator charging to high? Richard Malcolm Electronics 8 August 20th 03 10:57 AM
Experts, please review my isolator install..... JAD Electronics 5 July 25th 03 04:20 PM