Maynard G. Krebbs

Default Best homeschooling course for cruisers???

I'm looking for opinions on the best homeschooling for grades k thru
8.
Anyone have any experince with different companies?
Thanks.
Mark E. Williams
Frank

We're unschooling our kids. For info about this option, check books by
John Holt, unschooling.com, etc. If you really want a packaged
curriculum there are a couple of homeschooling groups in the
misc.*hierarchy, one is generic (misc.education.home-school. misc) and
the other is Christian (misc.education.home-school.Christian). You'll
get lots of feedback on the Christian one.

Maynard G. Krebbs

On 28 Feb 2005 12:02:16 -0800, "Frank" wrote:

We're unschooling our kids. For info about this option, check books by
John Holt, unschooling.com, etc. If you really want a packaged
curriculum there are a couple of homeschooling groups in the
misc.*hierarchy, one is generic (misc.education.home-school. misc) and
the other is Christian (misc.education.home-school.Christian). You'll
get lots of feedback on the Christian one.

Thanks Frank,
I'll check into them.
Mark E. Williams
Skipper

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 23:06:49 -0600, Maynard G. Krebbs
wrote:

I'm looking for opinions on the best homeschooling for grades k thru
8.
Anyone have any experince with different companies?
Thanks.
Mark E. Williams

Hey, Maynard. Where's Dobby?

Calvert School used to have a good distance-learning course.

http://www.calvertschool.org/engine/...T_CODE=CES1512

Larry W4CSC

Skipper wrote in
:

Hey, Maynard. Where's Dobby?

Calvert School used to have a good distance-learning course.

http://www.calvertschool.org/engine/...T_CODE=CES1512

A few years ago, I met a family passing through on a beautiful Globe yacht,
about 55' long. They sold their electrical contracting business and moved
to Taiwan to watch and supervise the building of the yacht-of-their-
dreams....but that's another story.....(c;

Their two teenage sons were schooled at "home", both from Taiwan and at
sea, but a course setup by the University of Nebraska for Foreign Service
children around the world. This also gave them a great head-start into the
University world that provided the courses, tests, text, and ACCREDITATIONS
that made it official.

http://www.state.gov/m/dghr/flo/19290.htm

"Homeschooling and the High School Student

One school used by Foreign Service families is the University of Nebraska-
Lincoln program. It is a fully accredited program and the one on which the
homeschooling allowance for high schoolers has been calculated. A student
has to complete 5 courses (basically a year) through the school, combined
with other credits, to receive a diploma.
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Tel: 402-472-4422 (toll free: 877-243-4747)
Web site: http://dcs.unl.edu/ishs/"

Both boys graduated with honors and moved on to graduate from university
with honors! Lucky boys in anyone's connection....raised on a yacht,
schooled on a yacht. I was jealous...(c;

The webpage is information on home schooling from the Dept of State for its
Foreign Service families....

Hope this helps.

Falky foo

Their two teenage sons were schooled at "home", both from Taiwan and at
sea, but a course setup by the University of Nebraska for Foreign Service
children around the world. This also gave them a great head-start into

the
University world that provided the courses, tests, text, and

ACCREDITATIONS
that made it official.

However, the U of Nebraska might make the parents teach "evolution" *gasp*
and "human sexuality" *double gasp* and prolly doesn't include in its
curriculum "how to beat them ******s" and "homos are the devil."

Though, being that it's the U of Nebraska, I take that back!

Skipper

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 07:21:08 GMT, "Falky foo"
wrote:

However, the U of Nebraska might make the parents teach "evolution" *gasp*
and "human sexuality" *double gasp* and prolly doesn't include in its
curriculum "how to beat them *snip!

That gets my killfile filter. I won't be reading anything else from
that person.
Maynard G. Krebbs

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 01:08:52 -0500, Larry W4CSC
wrote:

[...]

Thanks Larry. I saved your link but he's not ready for high school
yet. Still in kindergarten.
Mark E. Williams
Larry W4CSC

Maynard G. Krebbs wrote in
:

Thanks Larry. I saved your link but he's not ready for high school
yet. Still in kindergarten.
Mark E. Williams

I'm still reeling from the rec.boats politics nonsense of just posting what
I did......

Sorry you didn't say his age....(c;

Maynard G. Krebbs

wrote:

I'm looking for opinions on the best homeschooling for grades k thru
8.
Anyone have any experince with different companies?
Thanks.
Mark E. Williams

Hey, Maynard. Where's Dobby?

Calvert School used to have a good distance-learning course.

http://www.calvertschool.org/engine/...T_CODE=CES1512

Thanks Skipper. The Calvert school is the one I was trying to
remember.
Mark E. Williams

You have to be older than dirt to remember Dobby. lol