William R. Watt

Default wind along the Mississippi?

Anybody know about summer sailing on the Mississippi River?
How are the winds on the lower part, say below Kansas City?
Any sailing clubs along the route?

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Lew Hodgett

William R. Watt wrote:

Anybody know about summer sailing on the Mississippi River?
How are the winds on the lower part, say below Kansas City?
Any sailing clubs along the route?

IMHO, far TOO much commercial barge traffic to even consider sailing,
especially on the lower part.

Some of those barge lash ups can be humongous.

HTH

Lew
Fred Miller

"William R. Watt" wrote in message

Anybody know about summer sailing on the Mississippi River?
How are the winds on the lower part, say below Kansas City?
Any sailing clubs along the route?

----
William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community

network
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Note that Kansas City is on the Big Muddy or Missouri as its shown on maps.
Also, especially in the spring very high currents in one direction;
downstream.

Fred

sherwindu

Ditto on the currents and barges. I motored my sailboat almost all the way down
from
Illinois to the Gulf. Besides the two previously mentioned problems, you can add
the
tricky winds that seem to be channeled to follow the rivers course. Also, you may
not
have good maneuverability to dodge the occasional logs and debris floating by.

Sherwin D.

"William R. Watt" wrote:

Anybody know about summer sailing on the Mississippi River?
How are the winds on the lower part, say below Kansas City?
Any sailing clubs along the route?

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Just Us

"William R. Watt" wrote in message

Anybody know about summer sailing on the Mississippi River?
How are the winds on the lower part, say below Kansas City?
Any sailing clubs along the route?

I sail the upper Mississippi and have a great time.
Barges and hot shot fishing boats are a headache.
If you have a shallow draft, back waters are nice to explore, but be careful
for stumps.
Lake Pepin is a very popular sailing lake, south of Minneapolis.

William R. Watt

appologies for the error in geography. the cruise was part of a boat
design and cruise planning competition at www.duckworksmagazine.com, from
Fort Benton on the Missouri to New Orleans. the judges dismissed the
sailing entries because they considered the wind on the lower Mississippi
not suitable. I was unaware of that and interested in finding out more
about it.

I've read Steven Ladd's "Three Years in a Twelve Foot Boat" in which he
spent part of that time sailing and rowing the same course as the contest.
He describes the current, 10 foot barge train wakes, and lack of
facilities (about a decade ago). Because of the space limitations in the
book which describes a much longer cruise his details are sparce.

I assume then that there are not many sailing clubs along the lower
Mississippi. We have 5 sailing clubs here on the Ottawa River in the city
alone and sail from break up to freeze up.

Thanks for the info.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Peggie Hall

William R. Watt wrote:
Anybody know about summer sailing on the Mississippi River?
How are the winds on the lower part, say below Kansas City?

I THINK you meant to say St. Louis...KC is a couple hundred miles
west...the Mississippi River doesn't go anywhere near it.

That said, Alton Lake--on the river near St. Louis--was pretty decent
small boat sailing when I was in college.

--
Peggie

36 foot waves forecasted for Florida western panhandle Wayne.B General 39 September 21st 04 06:07 PM
VDO wind sensor Pyry Electronics 0 August 15th 04 06:28 PM
The future of yacht design - 10 myths scotched Frank ASA 0 June 28th 04 02:42 PM
Nasty, Nasty, Crazy Day Sailing Today Bart Senior ASA 50 November 17th 03 06:40 AM
Wind or magnetism? Paul General 3 August 14th 03 03:31 PM