Doug Dotson

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 22:22:45 -0500, "Doug Dotson"
dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote:

My personal philosophy is that if you need air conditioning at night,
you're spending the summer too far south.

Or you are a wimp. A good fan generally does the trick.

================================

I'm in south Florida. When it's 95 degrees and 95% humidity, being a
wimp has nothing to do with it. This area is basically uninhabitable
in the summer without air conditioning.

Sure is nice this time of year however.

About the same WX as the Chesapeake in the summer.

Doug

Doug Dotson

"Jack Dale" wrote in message
On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 21:56:51 -0500, "Berry"
wrote:

Any thoughts on the need for Air Conditioning on a Sailing Vessel while in
the Bahamas.

Use a chute scoop.

Been there in July. Had to take it down because we got cold.

Jack

We have 4 Breeze Boosters that work great. The V-berth has 2
fans as well.

Doug

Jack Dale
Swiftsure Sailing Academy
Director/ISPA and CYA Instructor
http://www.swiftsuresailing.com

Jeff Morris

Berry wrote:
Any thoughts on the need for Air Conditioning on a Sailing Vessel while in
the Bahamas.

Currently have them on board, but no Gen Set. Hate to put in a Gen Set if
Air Conditioning is not needed.

Berry Myers
SV Nonpareil

I can't recall more than a handful of nights that were too hot when at
anchor. My current boat has two hatches above our bunk and that funnels
more than enough air to be be comfortable. We have a Breeze Booster,
but only need to use it at the dock. The only problem is when it rains!

Curiously, the same company that built my sailboat (PDQ), also builds a
power cat that is usually delivered with a Genset and A/C. The
staterooms have limited ventilation (compared to the sailboat), but they
told me they have installed large deck hatches on a few - presumably
purchased by former sailors.
LaBomba182

Subject: AC in the Bahamas
From: "Doug Dotson"

Mine isn't all that loud either from aboard my own boat. That "chuff chuff"
and "splash" sound is quite annoying when one is trying to sleep.

My personal philosophy is that if you need air conditioning at night,
you're spending the summer too far south.

Or you are a wimp. A good fan generally does the trick.

OK, so you're a wimp if you can't sleep on a hot night without A/C.
Got it.

Now what do you call someone who can't sleep on a boat with the sound of water
splashing in the distance?

Capt. Bill
chuck

Berry wrote:
Any thoughts on the need for Air Conditioning on a Sailing Vessel while in
the Bahamas.

Currently have them on board, but no Gen Set. Hate to put in a Gen Set if
Air Conditioning is not needed.

Berry Myers
SV Nonpareil

Hello Berry,

Spent June and July in the Abacos, all at anchor except for
maybe three nights at marinas.

No AC and never needed it. During the day, the sun can be
very troublesome in the cockpit, which is where you want to
be anyway. What is vastly more important than AC, in my
opinion, is an awning. Expect to move it as the boat changes
position and the sun cavorts across a beautiful sky.

Good luck.

Chuck

Doug Dotson

From: "Doug Dotson"

Mine isn't all that loud either from aboard my own boat. That "chuff
chuff"
and "splash" sound is quite annoying when one is trying to sleep.

The above is what I said.

My personal philosophy is that if you need air conditioning at night,
you're spending the summer too far south.

Or you are a wimp. A good fan generally does the trick.

The above here are not my words. Are your trying to fabricate a
conflict?

OK, so you're a wimp if you can't sleep on a hot night without A/C.
Got it.

Perhaps. But certainly a poor generalization. I have no problem with
AC for sleeping. It's running a loud and annoying genset in a quiet
anchorage all night that is the issue.

Now what do you call someone who can't sleep on a boat with the sound of
water
splashing in the distance?

Not the splashing of water that is the annoying part. It's the exhaust noise
from the genset. And also the exhaust fumes wafting through the cabin.

Capt. Bill

Doug

Wayne.B

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 22:10:11 -0500, "Doug Dotson"
dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote:

Not the splashing of water that is the annoying part. It's the exhaust noise
from the genset. And also the exhaust fumes wafting through the cabin.

Now who's the wimp?

Real men season their ham and eggs with exhaust fumes for breakfast.

That's the smell of power my friend, and it's also the cure for
borderline seasickness.

One whiff and you're not borderline anymore.

Rosalie B.

(LaBomba182) wrote:

Any thoughts on the need for Air Conditioning on a Sailing Vessel while in
the Bahamas.

Currently have them on board, but no Gen Set. Hate to put in a Gen Set if
Air Conditioning is not needed.

Depends on when you intend to be there.
But I vote a strong yes. At least in the height of the summer.

If you are in a marina, then you may need one - of course if you are
in a marina, you won't need a genset because there will be power
available. The reason you might need one more in a marina is that you
will not be able to have the boat swing to the wind, and other boats
or structures may block the breeze.

IME (and we used to live in the Florida Keys, but on land), if you can
shield the place from the sun, you will be OK without. (House or boat
- doesn't matter which - the same in both cases. For the house - big
trees make it 20 degrees cooler, especially with an attic fan and
keeping the windows open on the shady side and closed on the sunny
side. For the boat- keep a shade over the cockpit and over any
hatches or companionways that are in the direct sunlight, having a
light colored boat, and having opening ports and hatches plus fans for
ventilation.)

We did not have A/C in our house in MD until about 3 years ago, and we
still don't use it much. We do have an attic fan and mature trees.
We did have AC in the Keys, but we had no trees and no way to reduce
the radiant heat load on the house, and we used the AC full time from
May to October.

In the winter, AC isn't necessary. You may even want a little heat
sometimes. We've been to Florida and the Bahamas for 3 winters now,
and we cruise in the Chesapeake in the summer. We do not have AC nor
do we plan to get it.

grandma Rosalie
Ed

Many large powerboats (Most over 40') cannot be without 110/220 for any
period of time. My 48 won't last more than a few hours without AC
power. I only have 110/220 AC for freezer, fridge, etc, etc. I will
not go into an anchorage if the sailboters are there first BUT... if I
arrive first and they come later on... anchorer beware... I have 2
gensets... my night set is very small and over muffled but no genset is
100% quiet.

BTW... in the summer, in the islands... you will want AC. the scoops
are OK but most evenings have little breeze and if you anchor to close
to the islands, the bugs will get you as well.

Winter... no problem... bring extra blankets in lieu of a generator...
Ed