Mobey Dick

Default Catamaran Cruising

i am thinking of going long distance cruising and am considering a
catamaran - round 40 ft - as opposed to previous thoughts of 45ft mono. I
need soemthing that is seaworthy for cross atlantic voyages etc, not just in
harbour.

Has anybody on this group any practical experience/advice of cats in this
way (please no stability debates)?

thanks

Chris Newport

Mobey Dick wrote:

i am thinking of going long distance cruising and am considering a
catamaran - round 40 ft - as opposed to previous thoughts of 45ft mono. I
need soemthing that is seaworthy for cross atlantic voyages etc, not just
in harbour.

Has anybody on this group any practical experience/advice of cats in this
way (please no stability debates)?

Take a looks at a Prout or a Wharram. Both have several circumnavigations
to their credit.

--
My real address is crn (at) netunix (dot) com
WARNING all messages containing attachments or html will be silently

Evan Gatehouse

Mobey Dick wrote:
i am thinking of going long distance cruising and am considering a
catamaran - round 40 ft - as opposed to previous thoughts of 45ft mono. I
need soemthing that is seaworthy for cross atlantic voyages etc, not just in
harbour.

Has anybody on this group any practical experience/advice of cats in this
way (please no stability debates)?

thanks

There are lot of cats around that size that are suitable for ocean
passages.

I'd suggest Chris White's book "The Cruising Multihull" as a good book
to start

For ocean passages, high bridgedeck clearance is vital. A lot of the
Prouts and several of the S.AFrican cats aren't so good in that regard.
I'd suggest 2' as a bare minimum WHEN LOADED FOR CRUISING, not empty.

We've got a Woods 40' "Meander" that we like but there is a large number
of catamarans that would be suitable.

Evan Gatehouse

Mobey Dick

"Chris Newport" wrote in message
Mobey Dick wrote:

i am thinking of going long distance cruising and am considering a
catamaran - round 40 ft - as opposed to previous thoughts of 45ft mono. I
need soemthing that is seaworthy for cross atlantic voyages etc, not just
in harbour.

Has anybody on this group any practical experience/advice of cats in this
way (please no stability debates)?

Take a looks at a Prout or a Wharram. Both have several circumnavigations
to their credit.

I had looked at the Prout, but I am seeing a lot of opinions against that
design (e.g. http://www.bayacht.com/goodbad.htm ) due to low bridgedeck
clearance and solid (not net) between forhulls.

Chris Newport

Mobey Dick wrote:

Has anybody on this group any practical experience/advice of cats in
this way (please no stability debates)?

Take a looks at a Prout or a Wharram. Both have several circumnavigations
to their credit.

I had looked at the Prout, but I am seeing a lot of opinions against that
design (e.g. http://www.bayacht.com/goodbad.htm ) due to low bridgedeck
clearance and solid (not net) between forhulls.

In general Prouts have a very good reputation, but any bridgedeck
is going to be a compromise. If you are happy with having accomodation
only in the hulls you should look at a James Wharram design.

The choice is yours - several Prouts have circumnavigated and they
have an excellent safety record. IMHO they have the bridgedeck clearance
about right, lower will slam more and higher compromises stability.

Personally I prefer a large Wharram, but they an aquired taste.