Wayne.B

Default Sarasota Florida Inlets

Are either of the Sarasota inlets usable by a boat that draws 5 1/2
feet of water? If so, are the channel markers sufficient to enter
without local knowledge?
BillP

Wayne,
Sea-Tow has always been of much help to me in navagating the inlets
ect, They are full of local knowledge and always been right on the money
when it comes to depths ect. You can contact them though there 800# or
VHF.
Bill,

BillP

Wayne, As I
remember Longboat pass was good for 6' There is a very good anchorage
after turning west just past marker #40 you can drop the hook in 12ft. or
tie up at the dock for lunch or dinner. Heading further south between
marker 38-39 it shoals to about 5' New Pass was good for 6' Sarasota Pass
I would call for a bit of local knowledge.
Bill,

BillP

Wayne,
Sorry for the last post it should have read....As I remember...Longboat
Pass was good for 6'. If turning south on the ICW just past marker #40 and
then turning back to the west there is a very good anchorage. You can drop
the hook in 12' of water or tie up at the dock and have lunch or dinner.
Heading further south between markers #39-#38 it shoals to around 5' you
will have to play the tides there. Further down the stream and across
Sarasota bay you should'nt have any problem. If you need fuel, water ect.
or want a break you can pull into Marina Jacks turning north east just
past marker #10. The channel is well marked. If you want to spend a bit
more time, you can take a trolly ride from the marina to St.Armands key,
lots of shops restrants ect. also there is a West Marine close by. Hope
this is of some help.
Bill,

LaBomba182

Subject: Sarasota Florida Inlets
From: "BillP"

Wayne, As I
remember Longboat pass was good for 6'

Still is.

There is a very good anchorage
after turning west just past marker #40 you can drop the hook in 12ft. or
tie up at the dock for lunch or dinner.

True. You anchor off Moore's Stone Crab restaurant.

Heading further south between
marker 38-39 it shoals to about 5' New Pass was good for 6'

Only on a high tide now. And I would only use it in calm weather.

Sarasota Pass
I would call for a bit of local knowledge.

It's Big Sarasota pass. Or as it is known locally, just Big Pass.
I would NOT use it unless you ran it recently.

Newsgroups: rec.boats.cruising

From: Wayne.B

Are either of the Sarasota inlets usable by a boat that draws 5 1/2
feet of water?

New Pass on a high tide on a calm day with good light. :-)

If so, are the channel markers sufficient to enter
without local knowledge?

Not really. use Longboat Pass. Or come in at Venice jetties if you're coming
from the south.

I live in Sarasota so feel free to Email me if you have any further questions.

Capt. Bill