yert33

Default How to seal inspection ports on water tanks and leak repair

Have old "food grade" polyethylene fresh water tanks on our 1966 Alberg
Odyssey 30. One does not have an inspection plate. I cut a hole and
installed one using a neoprene ring (cut from a mouse pad) for a gasket
but don't feel confident that it will be a 100% seal.

Was wondering if plain old silicone would be OK to use? Will it
contaminate the water? Any other suggestions? Cork gasket with rubber
cement?

Also --- I repaired a few small leaks by heating the tank area with a
heat gun, then using a hot glue gun to "weld" over the crack. This
seems to have worked for the time being, but, once again, I'm after the
"mil spec" method of repairing this material. Anyone know?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Trey Harris
S/V Dawntreader
1966 Alberg Odyssey 30
Clear Lake Shores, TX

yert33

The leaking cracks are near lower edges so an inspection plate wouldn't
be an option. Is silicone safe for drinking water?

Courtney Thomas

Does any vendor have a satisfactory inspection-port kit for a built-in
water tank in a fiberglass boat ?

If not, how is one properly fabricated/installed ?

Also, how should said built-in tanks be repaired in the event of cracks,
fractures, etc. ?

Thank you.

John K Kudera wrote:

How about repairing the opening with an inspection port, using silicone
sealant and screws?
oups.com...

--
s/v Mutiny
Rhodes Bounty II

Scott Vernon

There's several , up to 6'', here;
http://www.sailnet.com/store/departments.cfm?id=451

Is the tank FG or plastic?
--
Scott Vernon
Plowville Pa _/)__/)_/)_

John K Kudera wrote:

How about repairing the opening with an inspection port, using

silicone
sealant and screws?
oups.com...