Chris Newport

On Saturday 08 January 2005 12:45 am in rec.boats.cruising Falky foo wrote:

SIX MONTHS? Does that mean you can't see your dog for 6 months?

Correct, and the quarantine kennel charges will probably
bust you in the meanwhile. You may find it hard to pay
the kennel charges while you are in jail. In many countries
a prison sentence is mandatory for illegally importing
an animal.

It is FAR cheaper to leave your dog in kennels at home.
The last time I checked the quarantine charges were
roughly 10 times the going rate for holiday kennels.

Please leave the mutt behind, we do not want your
diseases, especially rabies and toxicara canis which are
often fatal to both children and vulnerable adults.

--
My real address is crn (at) netunix (dot) com
WARNING all messages containing attachments or html will be silently

What about birds kept in cages on the boat? ( have a parrot)

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 01:51:20 +0000, Chris Newport
wrote:

On Saturday 08 January 2005 12:45 am in rec.boats.cruising Falky foo wrote:

SIX MONTHS? Does that mean you can't see your dog for 6 months?

Correct, and the quarantine kennel charges will probably
bust you in the meanwhile. You may find it hard to pay
the kennel charges while you are in jail. In many countries
a prison sentence is mandatory for illegally importing
an animal.

It is FAR cheaper to leave your dog in kennels at home.
The last time I checked the quarantine charges were
roughly 10 times the going rate for holiday kennels.

Please leave the mutt behind, we do not want your
diseases, especially rabies and toxicara canis which are
often fatal to both children and vulnerable adults.

Weebles Wobble
(but they don't fall down)
Glenn Ashmore

Ingore what the alarmist are saying. It is not easy cruising with a dog but
NO IT DOES NOT mean that your dog gets locked up in some pound for 6 months.
Even in England which is used to be the toughest does not require quarintine
if you have the proper paperwork. In those places that do have strict
quarintines the dog stays in designated hostels where you can visit any
time.

In the BVI it means house arrest. The dog can't leave the house or boat
until the quarantine period is over. But to get an import permit you do
have to provide certified test results for a number of deases which can be
expensive and there is only one lab in the US that does one of the tests. .

Otherwise the dog has to stay onboard. On the few islands with quarintine
regulations if he is reported or caught outside quarantine he will be
immediately distroyed with no appeals. But in the BVI technically that is
true also for any dog not on a leash.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Falky foo" wrote in message
SIX MONTHS? Does that mean you can't see your dog for 6 months?

"Jim Carter" wrote in message

"Blue Eden" wrote in message
Does anyone have experience cruising with a small dog?
Next year we will sail the milk run of the Atlantic: Azores, Canaries,

St.
Lucia and lesser antilles in Caribbean, Bermuda.
Some islands have pet restrictions. Are they strictly enforced or can

small dog go discretly ashore?

Some Islands have very strict rules which include a quarantine. There

is
very good list on the following web site,

www.sailcharbonneau.com/QuarantineImport.htm

I hope this is what you need. Most British Islands have the 6 months
quarantine rule.

If you break the rule, you may be jailed and fined.

Jim Carter
"The Boat"
Bayfield

Jim Carter

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
Ingore what the alarmist are saying. It is not easy cruising with a dog

but
NO IT DOES NOT mean that your dog gets locked up in some pound for 6

months.
Even in England which is used to be the toughest does not require

quarintine
if you have the proper paperwork. In those places that do have strict
quarintines the dog stays in designated hostels where you can visit any
time.

In the BVI it means house arrest. The dog can't leave the house or boat
until the quarantine period is over. But to get an import permit you do
have to provide certified test results for a number of deases which can be
expensive and there is only one lab in the US that does one of the tests.

..

Otherwise the dog has to stay onboard. On the few islands with quarintine
regulations if he is reported or caught outside quarantine he will be
immediately distroyed with no appeals. But in the BVI technically that is
true also for any dog not on a leash.
Glenn Ashmore

Hi Glenn:
I am not sure where you got your information, but, the rule for England is 6
months quarantine if the dog arrives by boat. There are specil permits
available to import a dog to England, by aircraft only, that can be applied
if the dog meets all of the requirements. You may check this with English
Customs. I did. This same rule also applies to BVI and many other Islands
in the Caribbean. It is best to leave the dog at home. It would be a
terrible thing to ignore the rule and have your pet destroyed.

Jim Carter
"The Boat"
Bayfield

Doug Dotson

I have several friends that have cruised down through the Bahamas,
down the islands all the way to Venezuela with dogs with no
problems whatsoever. The of course had proper records regarding
shots etc. Same thing with cats. We had to pay $US25 for a permit
for our cat into The Bahamas but otherwise no probs.

Doug
s/v Callista

.

[...]

Glenn Ashmore

Early in 2004 most of the EU dropped 90% of the pet quarantine regs.

Under the PETS program a dog arriving in England via an "unauthorised route"
(meaning private boat) from a "listed country" (meaning the US and a lot of
other places) may have to spend a few days in quarantine until his paperwork
can be verified but unless you really screw things up it is highly unlikely
it will be locked up for 6 months. Check out www.defra.gov.uk for the
details.

I am pretty familiar with the BVI rules as we sent a Portuguese water dog
down to Virgin Gorda last spring and there is no formal quarantine. It did
take some paper work. We had to have him microchipped and besides the usual
rabies, worm, parvo, lyme disease and a couple of other tests we did have
one test called a Titer test done. Only a few labs in the US do it and they
have a 3 month backlog so we sent the samples off to England. Dog arived on
a private yacht and the owner was told by C&I to "keep him away from other
anamals for a while". I have no idea why they required the microchip as
nobody at C&I seems to have a chip reader down there.

There are many reasons not to have pets on a cruising boat but if you have
the propper documents the fear of quarantines is not one of them.

--

"Jim Carter" wrote in message

[...]

Blue Eden

Okay,
Thanks everyone for the discussion. We have been emailing DEFRA (The
food and agriculture authority in Europe) and are in the process of getting
all the documentation in place to travel with the dog. The requirements are
mainly: Microchipping your dog for identification and vaccination
confirmation purposes, Rabies testing and a six month wait to confirm no
rabies is present. All shots, of course and a treatment for ticks (part of
the monthly heartworm treatment in the most current product) and tapeworm
just a day prior to travel. We are waiting for confirmations, but it is
looking good. Check out our website as we may post the final results, and
for ongoing updates of this trip. "blueeden" dot "ca". Cheers, and happy
sailing. Thanks to Skip Gundlach for the Mark Twain quote...words to live
by.

"Blue Eden" wrote in message
Does anyone have experience cruising with a small dog?
Next year we will sail the milk run of the Atlantic: Azores, Canaries, St.
Lucia and lesser antilles in Caribbean, Bermuda.
Some islands have pet restrictions. Are they strictly enforced or can a
small dog go discretly ashore?