JAXAshby

That Westsail you speak did NOT survive the "Perfect Storm", for it wasn't
anywhere near the Perfect Storm. That Westsail was off Montauk in 40 knot
winds. No great shakes, even if two inexperienced crew were scared.

survived The Perfect Storm

akcarlos

Is the wind really that low in the states?
It is regularly gets above 30 knots here, the most I have sailed in
in the Hauraki gulf is 55 knots (thats the marine forecast not my
guessing)
at the moment it is gusting to 40 knots .
"
Colville coastal forecast

Issued at: 4:40 pm 29 Dec 2004 NZDT
Valid to: 11:59 am 30 Dec 2004 NZDT
Forecast
*GALE WARNING IN FORCE*
Northeast rising to 40 knots this evening. Sea very rough. Northerly
swell rising to 3 metres. Poor visibility in rain.
Outlook
following 12 hours: Becoming northwest 25 knots."
http://www.metservice.co.nz/default/...olvillecoastal

rhys

That reminds me to check out the Sydney-Hobart results. With all the
tsunami news, it's fallen off the news radar.

On 29 Dec 2004 00:53:27 -0800, "akcarlos"
wrote:

Is the wind really that low in the states?
It is regularly gets above 30 knots here, the most I have sailed in
in the Hauraki gulf is 55 knots (thats the marine forecast not my
guessing)
at the moment it is gusting to 40 knots .
"
Colville coastal forecast

Issued at: 4:40 pm 29 Dec 2004 NZDT
Valid to: 11:59 am 30 Dec 2004 NZDT
Forecast
*GALE WARNING IN FORCE*
Northeast rising to 40 knots this evening. Sea very rough. Northerly
swell rising to 3 metres. Poor visibility in rain.
Outlook
following 12 hours: Becoming northwest 25 knots."
http://www.metservice.co.nz/default/...olvillecoastal

Ken Heaton

This was the hourly weather two days ago as observed at St. Paul Island,
just to the north of Cape Breton Island where I live. Needless to say we
didn't go sailing, it was too cold for me... (yes, that's 109 km/hr).

Cabot Strait
(Observations at St. Paul Island)
Hourly Data Report for December 27, 2004

Time/Temp°C/Dew Point Temp°C/Rel Hum%/Wind Dir10's deg/Wind Spd
km/h/Visibility km/Stn Press kPa/Wind Chill

00:40 -5.9 -9.9 73 5 41 M 102.68 -15
01:40 -6.2 -8.3 85 6 46 M 102.42 -16
02:40 -6.8 -8.8 86 7 44 M 102.24 -17
03:40 -7.5 -8.5 93 7 50 M 101.95 -18
04:40 -6.8 -7.3 96 7 52 M 101.89 -18
05:40 -6.6 -7.2 95 6 56 M 101.68 -18
06:40 -6.5 -7.2 95 7 59 M 101.40 -18
07:00 -6.2 -6.9 95 7 63 M 101.22 -18
08:40 -5.9 -6.4 96 6 70 M 100.76 -18
09:00 -6.2 -6.7 96 6 76 M 100.51 -18
10:00 -6.0 -6.3 98 6 82 M 100.15 -18
11:00 -5.1 -5.7 96 6 82 M 99.79 -17
12:00 -5.6 -6.0 97 5 80 M 99.39 -18
13:00 -5.4 -5.7 98 5 76 M 98.94 -17
14:00 -5.5 -5.8 98 4 85 M 98.33 -18
15:00 -4.5 -4.7 99 4 74 M 98.17 -16
16:00 -3.8 -3.9 99 4 70 M 97.52 -15
17:00 -3.0 -3.1 99 3 69 M 97.15 -13
18:00 -2.0 -2.0 100 1 74 M 96.86 -12
19:00 -1.9 -1.9 100 35 91 M 96.70 -13
20:40 -2.1 -2.1 100 33 98 M 97.00 -14
21:40 -3.8 -3.8 100 31 109 M 97.33 -17
22:00 -3.6 -3.6 100 32 107 M 97.46 -16
23:00 -4.7 -4.8 99 31 104 M 97.92 -18

--
Ken Heaton, Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, Canada
email to: (kenheaton AT eastlink DOT ca)

"akcarlos" wrote in message
ups.com...
Is the wind really that low in the states?
It is regularly gets above 30 knots here, the most I have sailed in
in the Hauraki gulf is 55 knots (thats the marine forecast not my
guessing)
at the moment it is gusting to 40 knots .
"
Colville coastal forecast

Issued at: 4:40 pm 29 Dec 2004 NZDT
Valid to: 11:59 am 30 Dec 2004 NZDT
Forecast
*GALE WARNING IN FORCE*
Northeast rising to 40 knots this evening. Sea very rough. Northerly
swell rising to 3 metres. Poor visibility in rain.
Outlook
following 12 hours: Becoming northwest 25 knots."
http://www.metservice.co.nz/default/...olvillecoastal

akcarlos

so it seems that at least some parts of the world have no choice at
sailing in winds
above 30 knots.
I wonder where these people who have never sailed in 30 knot winds
live, I cant see how anybody could sailing regularly and never go out
in 30 knot wind.

Garuda

Somewhere in between the roaring forty's.

akcarlos

New Zealand (where I live) is in the roaring forties but the wind is
often less than 30 knots and some days there is no wind at all (even in
wellington near the cook strait).

Too windy to sail? Scott Vernon ASA 12 November 8th 04 04:49 PM
Frikin' Windy! Bobsprit ASA 0 May 30th 04 01:32 AM
Wow, is it WINDY! katysails ASA 7 April 20th 04 03:23 AM
WINDY ~~~~~~~~~~ Scott Vernon ASA 41 November 20th 03 03:22 AM
It's going to be wet and windy... The_navigator© ASA 13 October 13th 03 01:38 AM