BoatBanter.com

-   -   Ending GPS? (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/26262-ending-gps.html)

DSK December 17th 04 04:07 PM

Yep. We're switching over to faith-based navigation ;)

rhys wrote:
God Is My Co-Pilot. No, Really.

Of course.

After all, if He can move mountains and shape continents, then surely
He'll be understanding about shifting those little rocks out of our way...

DSK

Doug Dotson December 17th 04 10:29 PM

Now I understand. You are another JAXite.

wrote in message
On 17 Dec 2004 10:36:05 -0600, Dave wrote:

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 19:59:06 GMT, said:

no one who has been
alive and paying attention for the last 40 or 50 years will believe
that whopper.

Take it back to alt.sailing.asa, Bill. Please don't pollute another group.

Well, I know one person who hasn't been paying attention! Dopey Dave
the goose stepping fascist!

BB

Doug Dotson December 18th 04 12:04 AM

I think by definition, something that carries an astronomical price tag
is not realistic :)

"Brien Alkire" wrote in message
They're also going to make the system more resistant to jamming.

That's a lot of lip service. Realistic methods of making it more
resistant
to jamming carry astronomical price tags.

John R. Campbell December 18th 04 01:07 AM

On rhys wrote:
Cindy Ballreich wrote:
Hey! This was supposed to degenerate into a
sextant flamewar, not a political flamewar!
Didn't you get the schedule?

We just HAD a sextant flamewar, didn't we? I
believe it can be found just inside this
cocked hat here...

I'm not up to date... so is LORAN dead yet?

--
John R. Campbell Speaker to Machines soup at tampabay dot rr dot com
"Grace is sufficient so Joy was let go." - Heather L. Campbell

prodigal1 December 18th 04 03:39 AM

wrote:
Bush people announce they may end GPS.

well not quite, but if you're sailing up Lake Huron in the fog, it may
mildly **** you off when gps goes down because Dubya wants to effect
another regime change somewhere

but it's all moot

keep enjoying gps as a backup-knowing that your tax dollars were used to
create a great piece of technology- hone your dr skills and wish
godspeed to those pesky Europeans whose Galileo system will offer an
interesting and to me immediately more attractive alternative to the
current satnav system as soon as it comes online

Jim Donohue December 18th 04 05:24 AM

Actually WAAS is DGPS...Jim

"Doug Dotson" wrote in message

"Amgine" wrote in message
lkaboutboats.com...
Maybe this is just my own personal read, but doesn't this sound like
sabre-rattling at the EU's Magellan project more than anything else?
Especially since the initial test satellite is scheduled to be launched
in
October.

And where has DGPS gone?

It has been pretty much replaced by WAAS. I wouldn;t be surprised if they
discontinued DGPS in the near future. I still use mine but I would get a
WAAS
in a second if/when DGPS goes away.

Amgine
SailWiki
http://wiki.saewyc.net

Me December 18th 04 06:34 PM

In article paPwd.83$iD.50@fed1read05,
"Jim Donohue" wrote:

Actually WAAS is DGPS...Jim

Bzzzt Wrong answer. Would you like to try for what is behind Door #3?

WAAS is a SAT based Service, whereas DGPS is a MF Terrestrial based
Service. Two different things that try to correct the same GPS
accuracy.

Me

rhys December 18th 04 07:20 PM

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 01:07:44 GMT, (John
R. Campbell) wrote:

On rhys wrote:
Cindy Ballreich wrote:
Hey! This was supposed to degenerate into a
sextant flamewar, not a political flamewar!
Didn't you get the schedule?

We just HAD a sextant flamewar, didn't we? I
believe it can be found just inside this
cocked hat here...

I'm not up to date... so is LORAN dead yet?

No, it isn't, and our "show and share" cabinet in the clubhouse for
orphaned gear has a couple of free LORAN rigs for the taking. The
merits of LORAN aside (and I believe them to be considerable), people
are voting for GPS with their wallets.

Me, I couldn't be bothered installing even a free, relatively new
LORAN set as it's easier and cheaper to improve one's coastal pilotage
than to rely on instruments solely. GPS is very handy, but my sailing
days aren't ruined if I leave it off. I use it to obtain ETAs, to
confirm my LOP and DR calcs and a couple of times in zero-visibility
fog in shoal waters, which allowed us to proceed referencing the paper
chart and blowing a horn whereas without it I would have dropped
anchor and waited it out.

R.

rhys December 18th 04 07:21 PM

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 17:29:41 -0500, "Doug Dotson"
wrote:

Now I understand. You are another JAXite.

Can't we all just get along??? sob!

Wow...JAXite is a low blow...