Don White

"Courtney Thomas" wrote in message
I need to haul my boat, using a tractor-trailer rig, from NC to Port
Hawkesbury, Nova Scotia and would like to know the best route.

By best I mean those compromises that most suitably consider: safety,
cost, time, traffic, road conditions & any other constraints worthily
considered.

The boat is about 40' long, 12' high and the rig is about 60' long & GVW
about 50k lbs.

The I-95 seems to be popular. I wonder if there are any restrictions on it.
In Canada, the choice is simplier.
Trans Canada all the way. It's certainly the favorite of all the truckers.
Would your boat be wider than an 18 wheeler?
Why Port Hawkesbury? That's a bit of an industrial area.
A couple of weeks ago I took the family in a rental van (mom, wife, 3
sisters, brother-in-law) and toured Cape Breton keeping an eye out for boat
launches on the Bras d'Or Lakes and Lake Ainslie. Beautiful place in
October...especially on the Cabot Trail.

Courtney Thomas

Default best route for trailering boat from NC to NS ?

I need to haul my boat, using a tractor-trailer rig, from NC to Port
Hawkesbury, Nova Scotia and would like to know the best route.

By best I mean those compromises that most suitably consider: safety,
cost, time, traffic, road conditions & any other constraints worthily
considered.

The boat is about 40' long, 12' high and the rig is about 60' long & GVW
about 50k lbs.

Appreciatively,
Courtney
--
s/v Mutiny
Rhodes Bounty II

Leanne

I need to haul my boat, using a tractor-trailer rig, from NC to Port
Hawkesbury, Nova Scotia and would like to know the best route.

I would think that whomever you contracted for the hauling would already
have routes to the northeast. We have hauled large utility and travel
trailers that way, going 95 and taking 495 around Washington and 695 around
Baltimore and using the Key Bridge. Take the Perth Amboy exit off the NJ
Turnpike and going on 287 and around to the Tappan zee Bridge and then back
over on 95. From there it is to the 395 up through Worcester to the 495
around Boston and back to 95. Another way is 95 to Providence and take the
295 around to 495. Again we have not anything as heavy as what you listed,
but it would give you some ideas. Another thought besides the tolls is the
escorts.

Leanne

Matt

You note how tall the boat is, but you do not say if that is while on the
trailer or not.
If it is too tall you get into issues with bridges - (I've yet to see a lift
bridge on a road)

If you are hiring a legitimate / profiessional to move your boat, leave it
to them, but make sure you get references and insurance. A 40' boat is no
small undertaking on a trailer.

If you are still intent on doing yourself, you are best advised to contact
the Transportation Dept of each State and Province you plan to travel
through.

If the height exceeds a certain limit, you need a special permit. I know in
Ontario, that permit also includes routing directions which specify travel
times, roads, and lanes (many bridges are arcs) among other things. Some
States require lead and even following vehicles depending on the trailer
load.