Steve

Default Rolled charts ??

What is the best/simplest way to take the curl out of charts that have been
tightly rolled ??

I just pruchased some used charts on ebay and the seller rolled them up and
shipped them in a 2" mailing tube. I always store my charts folded in half
or quarters in chart draws. In this instance, there are only 3 charts, but
this seller will be shipping me about 50-60 more and I expect I will have
this same problem with them. (I'm trying to talk him into shipping them flat
(media rate) or in larger dia. mailing tubes.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Jean Dufour

Hanging them for a day or two usually does the job. Laying them flat on the
table for a couple of days with some weight on them should work too.

Jean Dufour
Montreal, Qc

Steve wrote:

What is the best/simplest way to take the curl out of charts that have been
tightly rolled ??

I just pruchased some used charts on ebay and the seller rolled them up and
shipped them in a 2" mailing tube. I always store my charts folded in half
or quarters in chart draws. In this instance, there are only 3 charts, but
this seller will be shipping me about 50-60 more and I expect I will have
this same problem with them. (I'm trying to talk him into shipping them flat
(media rate) or in larger dia. mailing tubes.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

otnmbrd

Steve wrote:
What is the best/simplest way to take the curl out of charts that have been
tightly rolled ??

I just pruchased some used charts on ebay and the seller rolled them up and
shipped them in a 2" mailing tube. I always store my charts folded in half
or quarters in chart draws. In this instance, there are only 3 charts, but
this seller will be shipping me about 50-60 more and I expect I will have
this same problem with them. (I'm trying to talk him into shipping them flat
(media rate) or in larger dia. mailing tubes.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

G Folding charts is a no-no, as the creases can obliterate an
important piece of info.
That said, since most small boats don't have room for full chart
display, reverse roll them. That should straighten them enough to fold.
Then stow in your chart draws under the others for awhile ..... should
straighten them out.

otn
Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 19:25:37 GMT, otnmbrd
wrote:

Steve wrote:
[...]

I always fold them, but not exactly in half, if there is something to
save there. Nothing important gets obliterated.

I fold so the chart is out. They stow under settees, and fit on the
chart table that way.

I used to carry them rolled in a tube for traveling when we chartered
for vacations. When we got our own boat, I folded.

Folding them was a pain, but once done I could lay them under the
settees and they would get flattened.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"WooWooism lives" Anon grafitto on the base of the Cuttyhunk breakwater light
otnmbrd

Never folding charts, is an ideal condition that most of us won't be
able to adhere to .... the main reasons being reduced longevity due to
tears along the creases and possible loss of features.
A couple of other things you can do to help save your charts.
If you use specific routes along a chart and you draw course lines for
these, use scotch tape over the course lines so that frequent erasures
of plots, don't destroy the chart, and never use "pinpoint" dividers
when plotting, to avoid punctures.

otn

Steve

IMHO, rolled charts don't store effiecently, on the boat or at home, when
I'm dealing with several hundred charts.

Further, in my experience only ships have chart tables large enough for a
chart to be maintained fully flat, without a fold, on the chart table or in
a drawer.

My chart table drawers are large enough to store the charts folded in half
but the chart table and Yeomen Plotter requires them to be folded in
quarters.

Actually, the Chart Kit format is the ideal size that I built my chart table
surface for. However, not all cruising chart book come in that convenient
size/format.

(The several suggestions about putting the charts under the settee cushions
remind me of my days as a navy 'white hat', when we put our dress blue
uniform under the mattress to smooth the locker creases.)

Thanks again,

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Rosalie B.

"Steve" wrote:

IMHO, rolled charts don't store effiecently, on the boat or at home, when
I'm dealing with several hundred charts.

We have a chart rack above the nav table. Doesn't store several
hundred, but will store about 20 if you roll two or three charts up
together.

Further, in my experience only ships have chart tables large enough for a
chart to be maintained fully flat, without a fold, on the chart table or in
a drawer.

We have a chart table that would probably be big enough for the whole
chart if we didn't have all that other stuff on it, but in practice,
we (I) fold the chart to show where we have come from and where we are
going, and put it in a protective sleeve that's about 1/4 chart size.

My chart table drawers are large enough to store the charts folded in half
but the chart table and Yeomen Plotter requires them to be folded in
quarters.

Actually, the Chart Kit format is the ideal size that I built my chart table
surface for. However, not all cruising chart book come in that convenient
size/format.

We store the chart kits under the seat cushions in the main saloon for
those charts that are not in use at the time.

(The several suggestions about putting the charts under the settee cushions
remind me of my days as a navy 'white hat', when we put our dress blue
uniform under the mattress to smooth the locker creases.)

Thanks again,

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

This is an old boarding house trick for guys - they put their trousers
under the mattress each night to re-energize the crease.

grandma Rosalie
Chuck Baier

Fold them in quarters and put them under your salon cushions for a while. Chuck