Scott Vernon

Default mail yer boat?

Contact a 'freight forwarder / booking agent' in your area. You can
call a steamship line ( ACL, Hapag-Loyd ) and ask them. Find an
export boxing outfit near you. Pretty much any container hauling
trucking co. could steer you towards an agent.

It's going to cost $$$$$$.

I could do it for you ,if on the East coast.

--
Scott Vernon
Plowville Pa _/)__/)_/)_

"lupi" wrote in message
news
where would I for info on shipping a boat via container.
(23L'x9W'x12H') needs a cradle. I was thinking of the med from
seattle, usa. thank you.

Steve

"lupi" wrote in message
(23L'x9W'x12H') needs a cradle. I was thinking of the .

This would be a good safe way to get a small cruising boat to a cruising
grounds, but the bad news is that your boat won't fit in a standard cargo
container. (interior width=7'8", interior height=7'9 7/8" )

If you put it on an open skid/cradle, you loose the security and cost
efficiency of the containter shipping method. If it can't be stacked or
secured between other containers, then you will have to pay for the premium
rate for open deck area that it would occupy.

Sorry,

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Scott Vernon

I missed the 9' beam. and the 12' high.

It could still go on a flat rack which should save on the loading /
unloading charges, but like you said, will have to be stowed on deck,
or at least on the top row of containers.

--
Scott Vernon
Plowville Pa _/)__/)_/)_

"Steve" wrote in message

"lupi" wrote in message
(23L'x9W'x12H') needs a cradle. I was thinking of the .

This would be a good safe way to get a small cruising boat to a

cruising
grounds, but the bad news is that your boat won't fit in a standard

cargo
container. (interior width=7'8", interior height=7'9 7/8" )

If you put it on an open skid/cradle, you loose the security and

cost
efficiency of the containter shipping method. If it can't be stacked

or
secured between other containers, then you will have to pay for the

premium
rate for open deck area that it would occupy.

Sorry,

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Steve

I'm not sure I would want the Stevadores moving my 9 ft boat around (even on
flat rack) when they are accustom to 9 ft loads.

Those containters can take a lot of abuse that a sail boat wouldn't survive.
Whole knows, the OP boat might be only 8ft wide when it gets there..

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

John Proctor

On 2004-11-03 16:55:55 +1100, lupi said:

where would I for info on shipping a boat via container.
(23L'x9W'x12H') needs a cradle. I was thinking of the med from
seattle, usa. thank you.

Have a look at Dockwise Yacht Transport. I had them ship a Jeanneau SO
37.2 from Tahiti to Brisbane Australia. Very good people and no
problems. They have a web site http://www.yacht-transport.com/ . They
have an office in Florida that I worked through from Australia. Very
competent people and they handled the boat very well. A happy customer!

--
Regards,
John Proctor VK3JP, VKV6789

cybr

On 2004-11-03 16:55:55 +1100, lupi said:

where would I for info on shipping a boat via container.
(23L'x9W'x12H') needs a cradle. I was thinking of the med from
seattle, usa. thank you.

Have a look at Dockwise Yacht Transport. I had them ship a Jeanneau SO
37.2 from Tahiti to Brisbane Australia. Very good people and no
problems. They have a web site http://www.yacht-transport.com/ . They
have an office in Florida that I worked through from Australia. Very
competent people and they handled the boat very well. A happy customer!

Intrested in doing the same thing but to perth. i don't mant to be rude
but what was it worth.
(ouch did i realy say that)
Shaun
Steve

" Intrested in doing the same thing but to perth. i don't mant to be rude
but what was it worth.

I wondered when someone would ask that question..

As discussed here a couple year ago, I referenced the cost for Singapore to
Vancouver BC, about 12 years ago. This was a situation where a husband, wife
and adult daughter were sailing around the world (west to east) in a
Fantasia 35. The husband die while in So. East Asia leaving the wife and
daughter to deal with getting the boat home. They opted for this yacht
transport vessel and load their boat aboard in Singapore (I think). The
daughter rode with the boat and the mother flew home. (I understand that
only one boat crew person can remain with the boat.)

In this case the cost was about $10,000 (~1992 dollars). Expensive but
cheaper than highering a crew to bring the boat home. In this instance, the
Fantasia 35, being a motorsailor, would have taken many months to sail home.
More than the boat might be worth for a delivery crew.

One of the big advantages of this type of service, is that the mast/rigging
remain in place and when they launch your boat at the other end, you can
just sail away without any boat yard costs.

I understand that transport costs across the Atlantic are now triple what my
friends paid.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions