Chris Butler

Default Bleeding The Fuel System...is there a better way?

I just finished winterizing my 2002 1GM10 Yanmar Diesel (that runs on
a Menger 19' Cat boat) and think there must be a better way of
bleeding the fuel system. For the past three seasons I have changed
the water seperator and paper filter on the engine at the end of every
season. Then I begin the huge task of pumping the Raycor water
seperator for the next hour until fuel starts flowing into the engine.
After that I start pumping the lever on the oil pump (1 hour). Once I
get fuel into the lines the rest of the bleeding goes very easy. My
hand afterwards is sore and battered! I have tried cranking the engine
for short bursts with the compression lever up (this does not seem to
help). Is there anyway to prime or help this process along the way?
Jeff Morris

I have a pair of 2GM20's which should be very similar to the 1GM. Bleeding never
takes more the a few minutes. If the lever on the fuel pump doesn't work, it means
the cam that normally drives it from inside the engine is not lined up. It you turn
the engine over a bit (rotate the pulley a few inches) it should then work a lot
better.

"Chris Butler" wrote in message
om...
I just finished winterizing my 2002 1GM10 Yanmar Diesel (that runs on
a Menger 19' Cat boat) and think there must be a better way of
bleeding the fuel system. For the past three seasons I have changed
the water seperator and paper filter on the engine at the end of every
season. Then I begin the huge task of pumping the Raycor water
seperator for the next hour until fuel starts flowing into the engine.
After that I start pumping the lever on the oil pump (1 hour). Once I
get fuel into the lines the rest of the bleeding goes very easy. My
hand afterwards is sore and battered! I have tried cranking the engine
for short bursts with the compression lever up (this does not seem to
help). Is there anyway to prime or help this process along the way?

MIDEMETZ

Install an electric fuel pump.

Mike
********************

I just finished winterizing my 2002 1GM10 Yanmar Diesel (that runs on
a Menger 19' Cat boat) and think there must be a better way of
bleeding the fuel system. For the past three seasons I have changed
the water seperator and paper filter on the engine at the end of every
season. Then I begin the huge task of pumping the Raycor water
seperator for the next hour until fuel starts flowing into the engine.
After that I start pumping the lever on the oil pump (1 hour). Once I
get fuel into the lines the rest of the bleeding goes very easy. My
hand afterwards is sore and battered! I have tried cranking the engine
for short bursts with the compression lever up (this does not seem to
help). Is there anyway to prime or help this process along the way?

Keith

Are you (can you) prefill the new filter with Diesel before reinstalling it?
Otherwise I agree to install an electric fuel pump if it's that much of a
chore.

--

Keith
__
"Chris Butler" wrote in message
om...
I just finished winterizing my 2002 1GM10 Yanmar Diesel (that runs on
a Menger 19' Cat boat) and think there must be a better way of
bleeding the fuel system. For the past three seasons I have changed
the water seperator and paper filter on the engine at the end of every
season. Then I begin the huge task of pumping the Raycor water
seperator for the next hour until fuel starts flowing into the engine.
After that I start pumping the lever on the oil pump (1 hour). Once I
get fuel into the lines the rest of the bleeding goes very easy. My
hand afterwards is sore and battered! I have tried cranking the engine
for short bursts with the compression lever up (this does not seem to
help). Is there anyway to prime or help this process along the way?

Scott Vernon

If you don't care for the smell of diesel , use ATF (the red stuff)
to fill your filters and bowls. Dump what's left from a quart into
your fuel tank. Injectors love it.

--
Scott Vernon
Plowville Pa _/)__/)_/)_

"Jim Lea" wrote in message
Try filling the cup on the racor before you re-install it. That is

all I
have ever had to do for it. Same with the filter on the engine, but

it still
takes some pumping. I know you will probably spill some diesel fuel,

but if
you're careful you should be able to contain it.

"Chris Butler" wrote in message
om...
(Chris Butler) wrote in message

. com...
[...]

Thanks for the responses. My issue is that fuel will pump but it

seems
to take forever. I have tried turning the engine to get a point

where
the lever on the oil pump will provide greater range. I 'seem' to

find
that....it still takes forever.

Thanks Chris

Chuck Baier

Chris, Install a electric fuel pump. You will never go back. Chuck
Rich Hampel

Install a 12v DC fuel pump at the outlet of the tank and BEFORE the
filter set. When you need to bleed just turn on the 12v pump and
sequentually bleed everything until you reach the guard filter on the
engine. Such 12v pumps are arranged with diaphragm valves and will add
NO extra differential pressure requirements to the fuel system when not
operating .... they just sit there until needed.
BTW - be sure to specify a 12v pump that has EPDM
(ethylenePropyleneDiamineMonomer) gaskets and O-ring which are
compatible with diesel fuel.

In article , Chris
Butler wrote:

I just finished winterizing my 2002 1GM10 Yanmar Diesel (that runs on
a Menger 19' Cat boat) and think there must be a better way of
bleeding the fuel system. For the past three seasons I have changed
the water seperator and paper filter on the engine at the end of every
season. Then I begin the huge task of pumping the Raycor water
seperator for the next hour until fuel starts flowing into the engine.
After that I start pumping the lever on the oil pump (1 hour). Once I
get fuel into the lines the rest of the bleeding goes very easy. My
hand afterwards is sore and battered! I have tried cranking the engine
for short bursts with the compression lever up (this does not seem to
help). Is there anyway to prime or help this process along the way?

CARB & FUEL SYSTEM CLEANERS Coff General 1 April 6th 04 07:13 AM
Essentials of a Marine Boat Alarm System Rick Curtis Electronics 19 February 23rd 04 09:42 AM
ANNOUNCEMENT: Diesel Fuel Decontamination Units Give Stored Fuel Longer Life. John T. Nightingale Marketplace 0 February 19th 04 04:48 PM
Fuel System Upgrade DSK General 4 February 19th 04 01:11 AM
engine paint in fuel system David Ward General 0 August 20th 03 04:20 AM