Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Terry Spragg

Default Poop cannon passes test

Got her ashore on the back yard for the season, and wasn't able to
get a pumpout.

Got a pressure wash at the truck stop, but never even thought about
a dumpout.

So a 1 1/4" id galvanised street elbo with some rubbery tape jammed
into the through hull from the waterline outside, a nipple, a flex
hose drained into the porta pottie borrowed from the bus, and we is
ready to let her rip, eh?

Opened the head through hull ball valve.

Closed both holding tank air vents.

Put 12 volt tire pump on shraeder nipple on tank side of vent shutoff.

Switched on the air pump.

Had a ciggarette.

Turned off the air pump.

All done?

Put some water down the head and deck pumpout from the garden hose.

Switched on the air pump.

Had a ciggarette.

Turned off the air pump.

All done.

Opened the vent valves.

Closed the through hull.

It didn't blow up and I got a chance to see any pressure leaks, at
about 2 pounds pressure if that. There were none. According to the
label on the pump, I could test it to 150 pounds pressure. That is
the only danger, falling asleep with the valves in the wrong position.

The head system works as hoped for, even as it is, held together
with those rubber Mechanical Plumbing connectors that are so easy to
install, even on Household PVC plumbing drainpipe. I trust it
explicitly, and carry tapered wooden plugs to boot.

I am delighted to report that the "ballast" didn't even smell much,
it must be those 1/2" vents, and natural oxygenated decomposition.
Thanks to Peggie for that information on common sense management of
that odiferous curse which pursues many with only one vent.

Then I thought that if a porta pottie wasn't illegal, I could float
it beside the boat to dump the holding tank using the same rigging
afloat in the lake, and then I could take it home to flush down the
basement toilet, like I did with the boat in the yard. Or, I could
use a 5 gallon camp bag in a pinch to contain excess "useage" in
sensitive areas. It solves a problem.

In a pinch, I could even tow the porta pottie or bag behind the
kayak, or hump it ashore to an outhouse in a government park or
public wilderness where there may be no marine pumpouts.

What if I don't take the porta pottie aboard the boat at the
mooring? Wouldn't that be technically legal?

It's neat, clean, easy and cheap. We, the people have a right to
demand the government make similar inexpensive public health schemes
workable by providing minimum sanitary facilities where required in
public. Free toilet paper in the woods? Say "Yes!" to sustainable
recycling. Say "No!" to taxation sponsored government required
spending for the benefit of high cost, questionable tech toilet
industries, and the discouragement of boating generally. Say "No!"
to 500 gallon holding tanks. Say "No!" to thousand dollar chemical
poison generators and macerator grinders incapable of easy repair
afloat.

Even the filthy old manual tube style bilge pump can provide enough
air to dump ballast. At sea, using the holding tank to contain
ballast may be a benefit. Using the marine toilet with vents closed
would enable some control of boat attitude and trim.

How could it be wrong? By someone insistant enough, trying to
discourage inexpensive boating, some objections could be made, I
suppose. I oppose professional lobbying on principle.

I reccommend the method to you and invite observations about
possible problems.

Only about a month to good sledding!

Terry K

Depthsounder and Transducer test equipment Rusty Burke Electronics 0 October 29th 03 01:42 AM
Now, take a real IQ test if you have the nerve Simple Simon ASA 65 July 18th 03 02:16 AM
test Donal ASA 0 July 15th 03 10:43 PM
test Bobsprit ASA 0 July 15th 03 07:30 PM
test Capt. Mooron ASA 0 July 15th 03 07:29 PM