Rosalie B.

Default Last Trip of 2004 - Lower Chesapeake (Long)

After we got back this past spring, we put the boat up in the yard,
and then decided to put her back in the water and sail some this
summer. We had a nice couple of days in August when we went to
Reedville http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/380cf/#TL Tangier Island,
http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/53091/#TL and Crisfield and then
came home.

Since then, we've been kept in port by all the hurricanes coming up
the coast, and also by my dental appointments. Bob wanted to put the
boat up in the yard before the Oyster Festival the third weekend in
October. But on the 1st of October I had the last dental appointment
(periodontal) for this fall, and it looked like we'd have a bit of
good weather to go out before we put the boat up for the winter and
head south by car. The URLs have the photos that go with the text.

October 5, 2004 http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/57da3/#TL
We moved onto the boat and started to get ready to leave, but the
winds (20-25 knots) had the boat heeling in the slip, and it made me
very nervous. I convinced Bob to wait until tomorrow to go.

We ate lunch at Courtneys since Schiebles is closed M-W in the off
season. I had a grilled cheese sandwich ($2) and the soup and salad
bar ($6.95 - the soup was vegetable or clam chowder). Bob had a
hamburger and cole slaw from the salad bar. They don't take credit
cards.

There was a group of 4 women and 2 men that came in after us and
wanted to sit together. But a group of 3 had taken the table for 8
(you seat yourself), so they had to make do with a smaller table with
not quite as much room.

We watched TV in the afternoon, and then went to Mattie's for dinner.
Bob had the special (meatloaf, mashed potatoes and gravy and corn for
$6.95), and I had Alaskan king crab legs, baked potato and cole slaw
$12.95. The same group of 6 that we'd seen at Courtneys also came in
to eat.

I got the heater out because it was going to be cold at night, and was
glad of it.

October 6, 2004
Started the engine and cast off a little after 8. Bob started to back
out before I had really undone the last line to the pier, and
consequently, when I went to throw it on the pier, I missed and it
went into the water. The marina is very calm.

By 9:30, the wind had picked up to 11-14 knots in the Potomac - we
were past Point Lookout and are doing about 6 knots. We have decided
to go to Deltaville Marina on Jackson Creek off the Piankatank. We've
never been there. So I called and made a reservation. Bob had the
sails up.

We motor sailed around Smith Point at 10:30 doing 7 knots. We hear a
lot of chatter on the radio from the rescue boat out of the Little
Wicomico/Smith Point. The wind has dropped a bit, but we are still
doing 7 knots - I guess the tide is pushing us.

By noon, we've done 25.6 nm (nautical miles). We see lots of menhaden
boats when we pass the Great Wicomico, and hear on the radio about a
fishing boat that has collided with another boat. We get to the
Deltaville Marina after 44 nm at an average of 6.4 knots (which took
us about 7 hours).

The entrance to Jackson Creek is very interesting. You run almost up
onto the shore and then run alongside the shore until you get into the
creek. It's like the entrance to Bimini only with more ATONs.

There are several anchorages in the creek (heard one cruiser talking
to another one and he said that the anchorages were in Skipper Bob's
book) and it is much quicker to get here than to get into Fishing Bay
as it is closer to the Bay.

I went up to pay - 95 cents/ft and $3 for electricity. They have very
nice bathrooms, and a cruiser's lounge. I got a key for the lounge
with a $10 deposit.

At 5 pm, the dock master took us up into town when he got off work,
and we walked around a bit before we went to Taylor's to eat. Bob had
chicken, and I had crab cakes. Then the old lady that was there (Miss
Marie) took us back to the boat. I gathered she wasn't usually a
driver (She missed the turn and had to turn around), but one of their
waitresses was off with a sick baby and the usual driver was filling
in for her. Taylor's is one of four local restaurants that will come
and pick you up.

I took the computer up to the lounge, but it was open, so I didn't
need a key. I logged on via the phone line and did email, and while I
was there a guy came in and said there was a wireless network. So I
logged off, and used that for the rest of the night. I found later
that I could use it at the boat.
http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/57ec5/#TL

October 7, 2004
Bob was impatient to take off this morning. He tried to use the men's
bathrooms and the combination wouldn't open it, but the dockmaster
told him that the door sticks - it wasn't someone with it locked from
the inside. The dockmaster came down to the dock and gave me my $10
back from the key deposit.

All the lines on the pilings had to be untied as there were no cleats
on the dock, so Bob got off the boat and untied them while I held onto
one of the pilings so he'd be able to get back on. That was pretty
easy as there was no wind or current. We cast off about 0830. I stood
on the deck and took photos of the entrance channel. We followed
another sailboat out. By 0925 we'd been 6 nm.

There isn't much wind, but the anemometer at the top of the mast seems
to be stuck. Bob gets out of the cockpit to go look at it, and it
immediately unsticks itself and starts to go. We do have some wind, so
we motorsail.

The new side curtains that Bob made are really nice and clear (the old
ones had gotten cracked and moldy and scratched). We have last
night's dinner (crab cake and fried chicken) for lunch. It's still
mostly a north wind, so we are still going south. We pass Wolf Trap
(which is named for a British ship named Wolf which got 'trapped" on
the bar here).

We are still going south but don't want to go all the way to the York
River. I decide that we should go to Mobjack Bay. Mobjack Bay is a
very wide bay with four rivers running into it. The most southern of
these is the Severn. This is a different Severn River from the
Annapolis one.

There aren't many marinas listed on Mobjack Bay that take transients.
So I decide to call the Severn River Marina. Their ad in the 2001 ICW
guide says that they have only 5 feet dockside depth, and I'm not too
sure about that as I think we will be aground. Also I cannot find
information about this marina in any except that one guide book.

The ad also says they have a restaurant and floating docks. They
reassure me about the dockside depth and give me a dock assignment,
but they do not have and have never had a restaurant or floating
docks.

Suddenly I look over and say to Bob - Is that boat on fire? I half
think of calling the Coast Guard on the radio to report it, but as we
watch I see that it is water being sprayed up into a cloudlike mass.
Bob asks rhetorically if the Navy is testing the hovercraft again. I
remark that it is a good day for it - pretty much flat calm.

Eventually the hovercraft stops and just sits there in the water. When
it is sitting still, you can see the big fans on the back that make it
go. By noon, we are entering Mobjack Bay.

When we got into the Severn River, I tried to call on the radio, but
they didn't answer. I had to call on the phone again. Normally there's
no one there to help you tie up (they don't get many transients) but
the office lady rounded up a couple of people to help us. By 1410
(2:10 pm) we have arrived at the Severn River Marina off Mobjack Bay
after a trip of 34.8 nm at an average speed of 6 knots.

I checked in, and called friends of ours who have a boat which is in
Sarah Creek off the York River. The Severn River is on one side of the
peninsula and Sarah Creek is on the other side. They came down and met
us at the marina, and took us for sunset munchies at their boat, and
then we went to eat at Dolphin Cove.

On the recommendation of our friend who said the scallops would be
really fresh I had the scallops and jumbo shrimp special for $13.99
and got four shrimp and four scallops - very good. Bob got all you
can eat steamed shrimp and had a plateful plus another half plate.
http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/58160/#TL

October 8, 2004
Cast off without a problem (no wind or current). Although this is
another place where the lines have to be tied to pilings.

The wind is supposed to be light and variable, and then Saturday is
supposed to clock around and be strong from the north again. So we
want to be back up north again before that happens. The question is -
where shall we go today?.

I thought we should go to Tangier again, but Bob isn't sure that we
can get all the way up there. I also thought of going back to Jackson
Creek, but Bob thinks that will be too far to get home in a timely
manner on Saturday.

Bob suggests Fleets Bay, but I don't want to go back to Indian Creek
because it is too far from town and they don't take you in to a
restaurant any longer. So I decide to make us a reservation at
Dozier's in Broad Creek on the north side of Deltaville.

I've taken us on a different track, and we actually get to see the New
Point Comfort lighthouse (which is abandoned) from fairly close up. I
find that there is a big difference between the magnification I get
with the two digital cameras. The new one gets much more zoom.

We are passing a LOT of fishermen out by the points of land, like out
by Gwynn Island. There's no wind - the water is glassy - and no waves.
Perfect power boat weather. I can hear the Gwynn Island bridge opening
for someone (that was another place I considered going)

Because we'd gone the safe way on the way down, today when I plotted
the route, I cut some corners, so we were at Broad Creek more quickly
that I had estimated that we would be.

When we enter Broad Creek, I call on the radio, and the marina doesn't
answer so I call on the phone. She was in her car and said she'd gone
to the bank and she'd be there by the time we were to help us tie up.

She didn't realize that when I said we were entering Broad Creek we
actually WERE entering Broad Creek (she says people usually call from
father out and say they are entering the creek when really they are
still out in the river).

She said she saw our mast coming in from her car and she had to run
down the dock to get there before we did. She could have relaxed a
little because I suggested that Bob turn around and tie up facing out
so it will be quicker to get out tomorrow and that takes a couple of
minutes.

It's very shallow and when he turns we are stirring up mud. We've
learned to hand the midships spring line to the dock person first. We
tied up by 1456 after a trip of 32.2 nm at an average speed of 5.1
knots (because there was no wind).

After I check in, I log on with the computer, and then find that they
have a wireless network which I can access from the boat. We call and
the Boathouse Cafe comes and picks us up for dinner. That's right on
Broad Creek, and would be a short dinghy ride, but it is a long way
around by car.
http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/58164/#TL

October 9, 2004
Sometime during the night a big catamaran came in and tied up in front
of us (top picture). I heard the marina lady talking to him on the
phone yesterday afternoon. He got stuck in Norfolk when the Gilmerton
Bridge got stuck and then there was a train.

Because we want to get all the way home today and Bob thinks it will
be calm enough to take the sails off (which we have to do before we
haul the boat on Wednesday) and it won't be calm enough any other day,
we want to leave early.

So we pushed off about 0730 (with no problem) and motored out of Broad
Creek into the Rappahanock. We see lots of fisherman in the river .

There is a lot of dew and condensation on the bimini, and again lots
of fishermen out around the points like Windmill Point and Smith
Point. By noon, we are turning into the Potomac around Smith Point.
But Smith Point is about a hour from Point Lookout, and Point Lookout
Marina is not right at Point Lookout.

Bob decides that we can take down the bimini while we are motoring,
and then that will be done so we do that. We are motoring a bit faster
(higher rpms) than we normally do.

To take the bimini off, we have to untied it from the boom crutch, and
then unzip the pockets for the frame. To collapse the frame, the boom
first has to be moved all the way to one side. Then the boom is
brought back to the center, and the bows of the bimini frame are
lashed together so they lie flat on the cabin top forward of the
cockpit.

It feels funny to be out in the sun in the cockpit. Bob puts a hat on
to protect the skin on his head.

End of the trip
When we arrive at the marina, we get fuel to fill up the tank and then
tie up - today we went 4.14 nm at an average speed of 5.5 knots. The
total trip was 154 nm.

We do take the sails off the boat and stow them, but then I am too
tired to unload the boat (I have to go down Tuesday and do that). Bob
suggests going to the newly opened Spinnakers for dinner, but I'm too
tired for that too. We stop in Callaway and get A&W hamburgers and
root beer floats.

grandma Rosalie

S/V RosalieAnn, Leonardtown, MD
CSY 44 WO #156
http://home.mindspring.com/~gmbeasley/id2.html
Scott Vernon

I was down your way last week. Isn't Mr. Parks about the nicest guy
you've ever met? You missed all the strong north wind after Saturday.

This was my trip;

Oct. 3 - Sunday, Bowleys Marine, Middle River.
Very light wind, made only 2 miles and decided to anchor
off Rocky Point in Hawk Cove.
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/470278.JPG

Oct. 4 - Monday, weigh anchor 1000, light wind, picked up in
afternoon. nice sunny day. Lost hat, did MOB drill and recovered it.
Anchored in Selby Bay, 2130 (39 NM) Good first day.

Oct. 5 - Tue. NOAA calling for 20-25 kt wind. yeehaw! Up anchor 1000.
See sailboat heeled over hard on sand bar, get too close while
looking, ground on bar. Sheet in tight, heel over , get free. How
embarrassing. Wind was around 20, South. made for a tiring downwind
ride trying to counter steer the large following waves. Arrive
Solomons Island , anchor at 1630. (45 NM)

Oct. 6 - Wed., weigh anchor 1100. moderate, 5-10 wind.
Gorgeous day. Got chased off of firing range by a Navy boat. At
sundown saw a shore side house burn down. Anchor in Smith Creek, off
the Potomac River 2100. (39 NM)

Oct. 7 - Thur., Slept till noon! Pull anchor 1400. Very little wind.
Picked up nicely after sunset. Was one of those perfect nights for
sailing, nice breeze, billions of stars out, sailed till 0100 Fri.
morn. Tied up to work dock on Tangier Island (VA). (35 NM)

Sunset; http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/639756.JPG
Tangier Island;
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data/sbvernon/73220.JPG

Oct. 8 - Fri., If you look up the word 'quaint' in the dictionary,
there should be a pic of Tangier Island. friendly folk. Decided to
get a slip ($20, includes elect. water, showers) and tourist it up for
the day.

Wonder who's buried here;
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/734565.JPG

Oct. 9 - Sat., Leave slip 0945. Light wind, but another gorgeous day.
Arrive Onancock VA, 1400. Hook up with a friend and visit
for the day. (12 NM)

Oct. 10 - Sunday, leave dock 0900, wind blowing 15-20 North, I want
to go north. Big waves. bury the bow 3 times, 2 rouge waves break on
the beam and I'm soaked. Luckily it was still warm out. Wild ride!
Can't make much north progress. Duck into Great Wicomico River and up
the Cockrell Creek (Reedville) to anchor. (46 NM)

Oct. 11 - Mon., NOAA calling for the winds to die down some later in
the day, I wait till 1500 to pull out. Was a good decision. Arrive
Smith Creek off the Potomac at 2400 (36 NM)

Oct. 12 - Tue., Weigh anchor 0800 , 10-15 North winds again. Sail
into Little Choptank River and up Hudson Creek, drop anchor 0100.
(69 NM)

Oct. 13 - Wed., Calling for rain in the afternoon. Weigh anchor
0730, Sun, then clouds, rained for an hour , then sunny again. Nice
wind. Arrive Annapolis 1500. Meet up with 'old' friends. (35 NM)

Oct. 14 - Thur., Sail out to watch the Schooner Race with friends
.. Perfect day for a sail and a race. Some really great looking
schooners.
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/124025.JPG
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/340688.JPG
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/202096.JPG
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/982666.jpg
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/497594.JPG
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/868810.jpg
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/505576.jpg
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/827120.JPG
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/235312.JPG

Oct. 15 - Fri., hang out in Annapolis

Oct. 16 - Sat., Calling for 20 kts sustained with gusts to 30, BUT
from the south. I'm headed north. leave 1000, making 6-6.5 knots
hitting 7.7 surfing down waves. Arrive at home slip, Middle River,
1500. (29 NM)

Scott Vernon
Plowville Pa _/)__/)_/)_

"Rosalie B." wrote in message

After we got back this past spring, we put the boat up in the yard,
and then decided to put her back in the water and sail some this
summer. We had a nice couple of days in August when we went to
Reedville http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/380cf/#TL Tangier

Island,
http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/53091/#TL and Crisfield and then
came home.

Rosalie B.

"Scott Vernon" wrote:

I was down your way last week. Isn't Mr. Parks about the nicest guy
you've ever met? You missed all the strong north wind after Saturday.

Yes - he was nice - we went Reedville, Tangier, Crisfield and home in
August - this trip I guess we just missed you everywhere.

This was my trip;

Oct. 3 - Sunday, Bowleys Marine, Middle River.
Very light wind, made only 2 miles and decided to anchor
off Rocky Point in Hawk Cove.
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/470278.JPG

Oct. 4 - Monday, weigh anchor 1000, light wind, picked up in
afternoon. nice sunny day. Lost hat, did MOB drill and recovered it.
Anchored in Selby Bay, 2130 (39 NM) Good first day.

I like Selby Bay to anchor in.

Oct. 5 - Tue. NOAA calling for 20-25 kt wind. yeehaw! Up anchor 1000.
See sailboat heeled over hard on sand bar, get too close while
looking, ground on bar. Sheet in tight, heel over , get free. How
embarrassing. Wind was around 20, South. made for a tiring downwind
ride trying to counter steer the large following waves. Arrive
Solomons Island , anchor at 1630. (45 NM)

Oct. 6 - Wed., weigh anchor 1100. moderate, 5-10 wind.
Gorgeous day. Got chased off of firing range by a Navy boat. At
sundown saw a shore side house burn down. Anchor in Smith Creek, off
the Potomac River 2100. (39 NM)

We left Smith Creek that morning.

[...]

We were back home by then, but our boat was in the slip (no sails and
no bimini) We came down on Tuesday to unload the boat.

Oct. 12 - Tue., Weigh anchor 0800 , 10-15 North winds again. Sail
into Little Choptank River and up Hudson Creek, drop anchor 0100.
(69 NM)

Oct. 13 - Wed., Calling for rain in the afternoon. Weigh anchor
0730, Sun, then clouds, rained for an hour , then sunny again. Nice
wind. Arrive Annapolis 1500. Meet up with 'old' friends. (35 NM)

We hauled on Weds. Miserable rainy day. Everything got wet.

[...]

Scott Vernon

"Rosalie B." wrote in message

I like Selby Bay to anchor in.

My wife likes to feed the swans.