Parallax

Default Fun with a globe (or, I am easily amused)

Try to find the greatest great circle path length that does not through land.
DSK

Parallax wrote:
Try to find the greatest great circle path length that does not through land.

Not sure but I bet it runs North-South

DSK

JAXAshby

Try to find the greatest great circle path length that does not through land.

haven't checked to be sure, but I bet Newport to a bunch of places in the
Caribbean can be great circled without going through land. For sure, lots of
places south from St Johns Newfie.
Glenn Ashmore

I would be inlcined to say you are close starting near the tip of Siberia
but I would proceed on to the Antartic Peninsula if I didn't hate cold
weather so much. :-) About 10,700 statute miles In the Atlantic, Ellesmere
Island to Queen Maude land would beat it by about 300 miles.

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message
I don't have a globe handy, but it looks like 169W runs about 8500 miles.

But what
about Siberia to Cape Horn?

Falky foo

How about try to find the greatest great circle path length that doesn't run
through land OR ICE.

"Parallax" wrote in message
om...
Try to find the greatest great circle path length that does not through

land.

Brian Whatcott

Flirting with the Alaska Peninsula and Graham Land ?

Brian W

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 12:20:36 -0400, "Glenn Ashmore"
wrote:

Actually I must correct myself. From the northern end of the Kamchatka
Peninsula to the tip of India would be about 18,500 miles.

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
I would be inlcined to say you are close starting near the tip of Siberia
but I would proceed on to the Antartic Peninsula if I didn't hate cold
weather so much. :-) About 10,700 statute miles In the Atlantic, Ellesmere
Island to Queen Maude land would beat it by about 300 miles.

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message
I don't have a globe handy, but it looks like 169W runs about 8500

miles.
But what
about Siberia to Cape Horn?

Glenn Ashmore

Well, you would have to select your departure point carefully to pass just
south of the Near Islands and the South Orkneys would be reeeal close aboard
your starboard side but it could be done. .