Parallax

Default Jacklinessss

Getting my boat ready for a trip, I decided I need jacklines.
Besides, they will give the kids something to clip to when they insist
on sitting on the bow. I decided the ones made from flat webbing
material are not good as I have seen that material degrade very
quickly in sunlight, so I used 3/8 braid. Ajny thoughts on this?
Doug Dotson

One normally removes the jacklines when not necessary. Never had
jacklines degrade since we only deploy them when needed. Otherwise
they represent a tripping hazard.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Parallax" wrote in message
om...
Getting my boat ready for a trip, I decided I need jacklines.
Besides, they will give the kids something to clip to when they insist
on sitting on the bow. I decided the ones made from flat webbing
material are not good as I have seen that material degrade very
quickly in sunlight, so I used 3/8 braid. Ajny thoughts on this?

Graeme Cook

I have used both braid and webbing jacklines.

Braid are quicker to rig, cheaper, and easier to snap onto with a
double-action caribiner. However they can be hazzardous as they roll
underfoot, and always at the wrong time.

I presently use webbing as its mandatory for some offshore racing. As
they are only rigged when offshore UV degredation is not really an issue.

Incidentally, I rig a single jackstay from the starboard quarter down the
deck inside all shrouds (chainplates are on the outside of topsides) past
the forestay and back to the port quarter. A crew can go down the weather
deck, work anywhere, be foreward of the forestay for a spinacker jibe, and
then return along the new weather deck without any need to unclip and
reclip.

I also have two permanently rigged wire jackstays along each side of the
cockpit. Tethers are attached before crew come up the companionway, which
is a useful safety procedure.

Fair Winds

Graeme

Bill

"Parallax" wrote in message
om...
Getting my boat ready for a trip, I decided I need jacklines.
Besides, they will give the kids something to clip to when they insist
on sitting on the bow. I decided the ones made from flat webbing
material are not good as I have seen that material degrade very
quickly in sunlight, so I used 3/8 braid. Ajny thoughts on this?

Mine were the same as the lifelines - SS cable covered with vinyl. Were out
all the time. Are not slippery.

Bill