SASIINC

Default Buying a Mainship 390 Trawler

I'm close to purchasing a semi-new (2002) 390 Mainship Trawler with single
diesel power. Does anyone have this boat already and what do you think of it.
Thanks,
Frank
Tom R.

I watched a guy in Connecticut trying to dock one of these. He had a
terrible time even with a bow thruster. It was not the boat's fault, but it
was funny when the kid who was about to pump gas into our boat saw him
coming. The kid was confused as to pump gas into our boat or to run and
assist the Mainship. A call over the kid's radio stating, "Drop everything
and go help Mr. X" prompted him to give me the nozzle while he ran off to
assist. It was really amusing to watch. No one got hurt. Since we were
docked across the way, I went over to take a look at it. I liked it. Seemed
easy to maintain.

Tom

"SASIINC" wrote in message
I'm close to purchasing a semi-new (2002) 390 Mainship Trawler with single
diesel power. Does anyone have this boat already and what do you think of
it.
Thanks,
Frank

Jean Dufour

Most often encountered issue with this model is water infiltration in the swim
platform. Inquire if the issue has been dealt with prior to buy. We have an
owner group in Yahoo groups with many 350/390 owners. Feel free to join and ask
your questions to them. You don't have to own one to join.

Jean

SASIINC wrote:

I'm close to purchasing a semi-new (2002) 390 Mainship Trawler with single
diesel power. Does anyone have this boat already and what do you think of it.
Thanks,
Frank

Jim_Lane

Sorry I didn't see this thread sooner. I currently own a 390 Mainship -
year model 2000 with a single Yanmar & the SidePower bow thruster. Feel
free to take a look at www.390mainship.com
I can attest that it is no harder to drive or dock than a boat with twin
engines. However, the handling is significantly different. Rather than
turning the rear of the boat with the engines, the bow thruster turns the
front of the boat. Around the marina in close quarters, I am likely to
leave the rudder centered and just use the thruster to turn.

As with all single engine boats, when I am approaching a fuel dock or any
dock side-to, I will have a spring line with the loop out and tied to the
center spring cleat. For docking to starboard, the spring cleat is right
next to the lower helm door. This line will be tied off at about the same
length as the distance from the cleat to the transom. As I approach the
fuel dock, I just request the attendent to put the loop around a dock
cleat while I very slowly take up the slack. Once the line is taught, I
can leave the engine in idle-forward, cut the rudder to port to bring the
stern over and with the slightest touch of the thruster, bring the bow
over. The engine/rudder will keep the boat in place while additional
lines are tied off.