Jim_Lane

Sorry I didn't see this thread sooner. I currently own a 390 Mainship -
year model 2000 with a single Yanmar & the SidePower bow thruster. Feel
free to take a look at www.390mainship.com
I can attest that it is no harder to drive or dock than a boat with twin
engines. However, the handling is significantly different. Rather than
turning the rear of the boat with the engines, the bow thruster turns the
front of the boat. Around the marina in close quarters, I am likely to
leave the rudder centered and just use the thruster to turn.

As with all single engine boats, when I am approaching a fuel dock or any
dock side-to, I will have a spring line with the loop out and tied to the
center spring cleat. For docking to starboard, the spring cleat is right
next to the lower helm door. This line will be tied off at about the same
length as the distance from the cleat to the transom. As I approach the
fuel dock, I just request the attendent to put the loop around a dock
cleat while I very slowly take up the slack. Once the line is taught, I
can leave the engine in idle-forward, cut the rudder to port to bring the
stern over and with the slightest touch of the thruster, bring the bow
over. The engine/rudder will keep the boat in place while additional
lines are tied off.