Rolf

Default Tender/ Dink/ourboard

I am in the planning/dereaming stage for a multiyear cruise nest year
when I will retire. This will start in the Carribean and then go to
the South Pacific.
I am planning to get a recent model 45 to 50 ft sloop for that.
I am thinking about the dinghy/ tender. I am considering an 10-12 ft
inflatable with a fiberglass bottom.
I am thinking about needing 2 out boards, one a 3-4 HP 2 cycle for
easy lifting and short distances. The I think I need a 15 to 20 HP
maybe 4 stroke for serious work either carrying serious loads (
diesel) or serious distances.
Yamaha seems to be the recommended brand.

Any suggestions for the tender or comments?
Rolf
Dan Best

Rolf,
Consider the Porta-Bote. Search the archives and you'll find plenty of
info. I switched to one about 3 years ago and like our 12' model far,
far better than the inflatable we used to use.

--
Dan Best - (707) 431-1662, Healdsburg, CA 95448
B-2/75 1977-1979

Geoffrey W. Schultz

(Rolf) wrote in news:a6137ff7.0408172250.7fe41a1
@posting.google.com:

I am in the planning/dereaming stage for a multiyear cruise nest year
when I will retire. This will start in the Carribean and then go to
the South Pacific.
I am planning to get a recent model 45 to 50 ft sloop for that.
I am thinking about the dinghy/ tender. I am considering an 10-12 ft
inflatable with a fiberglass bottom.
I am thinking about needing 2 out boards, one a 3-4 HP 2 cycle for
easy lifting and short distances. The I think I need a 15 to 20 HP
maybe 4 stroke for serious work either carrying serious loads (
diesel) or serious distances.
Yamaha seems to be the recommended brand.

Any suggestions for the tender or comments?
Rolf

Your configuration matches just about everyone cruising in the Caribbean.
I'd look for a used inflatable as you can probably find one in very good
condition for much less than new. It's going to get beat up anyway. 12'
is getting pretty large and heavy. I assume that you'll keep it on davits.
A key thing to look out for is to make sure that the davits are high enough
(or the dinghy short enough) so that the ends of the dinghy don't hit the
water when heeled way over. Sounds obvious, but I've seen dinghies that
have been ripped off becuase they didn't consider that.

As far as brands go, Yamaha has the clear lead in the Caribbean. Can't
tell you about the South Pacific yet. You can get Yamaha parts anywhere,
but not other brands. I had a Nissas that it was impossible to get parts
for. The down side of this is that it makes your motor more of a theft
target. I know...:-(

-- Geoff
Evan Gatehouse

"Geoffrey W. Schultz" wrote in message

As far as brands go, Yamaha has the clear lead in the Caribbean. Can't
tell you about the South Pacific yet. You can get Yamaha parts anywhere,
but not other brands. I had a Nissas that it was impossible to get parts
for. The down side of this is that it makes your motor more of a theft
target. I know...:-(

-- Geoff

I know Yamaha has the market covered in Central America and Mexico - but
it's all 2 strokes that the locals use. Getting parts for 4 strokes always
seemed like a lot more trouble.

Consider buying the Yamaha 15 Enduro when you get to the Caribbean; it's a
no frills model that everyone in the 3rd world likes.

Big tubes are essential if you have a RIB - like 17" or so.

--
Evan Gatehouse

you'll have to rewrite my email address to get to me
ceilydh AT 3web dot net
(fools the spammers)

Geoffrey W. Schultz

"Evan Gatehouse" wrote in
:

"Geoffrey W. Schultz" wrote in message

As far as brands go, Yamaha has the clear lead in the Caribbean.
Can't tell you about the South Pacific yet. You can get Yamaha parts
anywhere, but not other brands. I had a Nissas that it was
impossible to get parts for. The down side of this is that it makes
your motor more of a theft target. I know...:-(

-- Geoff

I know Yamaha has the market covered in Central America and Mexico -
but it's all 2 strokes that the locals use. Getting parts for 4
strokes always seemed like a lot more trouble.

Consider buying the Yamaha 15 Enduro when you get to the Caribbean;
it's a no frills model that everyone in the 3rd world likes.

Big tubes are essential if you have a RIB - like 17" or so.

I would disagree. That was true several years ago, but now it's mainly 4
stroke due to fuel costs. Don't get anything less than 15 HP as you'll have
lots of problems getting parts for small engines. If you walk into a
dealer now you'll only see 4 strokes for sale. But yes, you can certainly
get parts and service for 2 strokes anywhere.

-- Geoff