Brian Whatcott

Default Velvet Drive Problem

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 14:26:14 GMT, WaIIy
wrote:

Hi,

I've developed a leak with my 1989 Borg Warner V-drive. It's in the v
configuration coupled to a 350 engine with 450 hours.

There is a small leak of about 1/4 cup of fluid in ten hours of
operation. It's not from the output seal and there is no fluid slinging
around anywhere. It looks like it might be coming from the middle of
the dipstick. I tightened the dipstick, cleaned everything and there is
a little bit of fluid coming from the middle (top) of the dipstick.
There is evidence of dripping under this area.

Also, there is a bit of fluid under the drive towards the output shaft,
between the output shaft and the first major mating of the case,
although it doesn't seem like the gasket is leaking.

Suggestions?

Gear case overfilled?

Brian W

Charles T. Low

No one has answered in the first day, so here goes:

1/ I'm afraid I don't follow the description all that well, but is this
transmission fluid? It couldn't be the normal water drip from a packing
gland? Or a tranmission cooling water leak?

2/ I had to have the dipstick replaced when it all wore out and its own
seal failed. My boat guy had to phone some obscure shop but was able to find
the part for a 1978 transmission.

Charles

====

Charles T. Low
- remove "UN"
www.boatdocking.com/BDPhoto.html - Photo Contest
www.boatdocking.com
www.ctlow.ca/Trojan26 - my boat

====

"WaIIy" wrote in message
Hi,

I've developed a leak with my 1989 Borg Warner V-drive. It's in the v
configuration coupled to a 350 engine with 450 hours.

There is a small leak of about 1/4 cup of fluid in ten hours of
operation. It's not from the output seal and there is no fluid slinging
around anywhere. It looks like it might be coming from the middle of
the dipstick. I tightened the dipstick, cleaned everything and there is
a little bit of fluid coming from the middle (top) of the dipstick.
There is evidence of dripping under this area.

Also, there is a bit of fluid under the drive towards the output shaft,
between the output shaft and the first major mating of the case,
although it doesn't seem like the gasket is leaking.

Suggestions?

Rosalie B.

WaIIy wrote:

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 23:04:45 -0400, "Charles T. Low"
wrote:

No one has answered in the first day, so here goes:

1/ I'm afraid I don't follow the description all that well, but is this
transmission fluid? It couldn't be the normal water drip from a packing
gland? Or a tranmission cooling water leak?

2/ I had to have the dipstick replaced when it all wore out and its own
seal failed. My boat guy had to phone some obscure shop but was able to find
the part for a 1978 transmission.

Charles

Thanks for the advice. I'll put in a new dipstick and see what happens.

Maybe the transmission fluid is just overfull.

grandma Rosalie
Dan

You may want to check out www.marinegears.com. This is the website
for Transmissions Marine Inc. They have a free tech forum you could
post this question to. They service B/W VDs. Their mechanics answer
questions posted to the forum. They were extremely helpful to me
while I rebuilt a Paragon P45. It usually takes a day or two to get a
response from them.

Dan Schiro