R.W. Behan

Default Ametek PS-C2 water filters

Greetings:

We've just traded in our dear old Westsail 32 for a 20-year-old Lord Nelson Victory Tug, and now confront the expected chores of cleaning/fixing/replacing all the old parts and systems. First on the list is WATER.

The boat has an Ametek PS-C2 water filter immediately downstream from the pressure pump (which I've already rebuilt.) I took the filter off, and find I can't even blow AIR through it, let alone water. I've cleaned up the cannister inside to no avail, but maybe they need to be replaced periodically, not just superficially cleaned. There is not a user's manual aboard, so any information you knowledgeable folks might provide would be much appreciated.

Blue skies and fair winds to all.

Dick B.
M/V Annie
Rich Hampel

You will never 'clean up' a dead-end filter such as this.
Whats probably happened is that bacteria have propagated and grown
'through' the filter media and are now totally blocking it ( to the
tune of 10,000,000 'bodies' per sq. cm). Buy new filter cartridges
and change out when they become 'slimey' to the touch - you will
develop a history of how fast the bacterial slimes form. A carbon
packed filter will enhance the multiplication of microorganisms and
needs to be changed more often.

To disinfect the filter housing, scrub with caustic (lye) soap, then
soak in strong Chlorox solution. Better to use peracetic acid, if you
can find it - as many microorganisms are unaffected by chlorine
disinfection. Since you probably have a major 'infection' dont follow
over-touted 'sanitization' steps as "sanitization" is used for a
'clean' system maintenance. The kill-rate of sanitization grade
chemicals will probably not 'budge' what you describe.
If the water hoses have turned 'brown' - replace them entirely; or,
they will continue to 'inoculate' the system with more micro-organisms
(spores). Many of these spores can be resistant to Chlorine/Chlorox.

Be careful of 'internet' disinfection and sanitization advice ....
usually quite obsolete and not applicable to a 'stagnant' water system
on a boat.