Michael

Default Lexan replacement windows

Lexan is bullet proof but does as you say over a period of time. To find
out the best properties of the various types of plastic windows get on the
manufacturer's website. They describe all of them in detail. I used Lexan
as storm shutters placed about a 1/2" away from my standard windows and held
inplacewith Chicago screws. This provides the protection while eliminating
fogging andcondensation. I think Lexan used this way makes sense but some
of the other plastics would make better windows. There are shops that
specialize in the three dimensional curves but the best place to check first
is the boats manufacturer. Even if they aen't building them anymore they
might have some left over or know who has the molds.

M.

"Rodney Myrvaagnes" wrote in message
On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 03:30:05 -0400, "Jerry Peters"
wrote:

I am in the process of buying a used Fontaine Pajot Casamance catamaran

and
I will need to replace the fixed windows which surround the saloon. The
windows are cracked and are unsafe for offshore voyaging. The

manufacturer
can supply replacements at great cost and with a long lead time. I am
looking for advice and sources for the fabrication of replacements and
perhaps suggestions on improving the design and strength of the windows.

believe they are lexan. Some are flat, some are formed in two dimensions

and
two of them may also be compound curves in three dimensions.

Thanks for any thoughts.

For flat ones, I have just traced them and had dupes cut at a plastics
store. Shallow bends I would try the same, but haven't had occasioon
to do it.

But, I would like to know why they cracked in the first place. I have
not seen that. My reason for replacing them is the gradual reduction
in transparency of polycarbonate from UV exposure.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36

Gjo/a

"We have achieved the inversion of the single note."
__ Peter Ustinov as Karlheinz Stckhausen

Jerry Peters

I am in the process of buying a used Fontaine Pajot Casamance catamaran and
I will need to replace the fixed windows which surround the saloon. The
windows are cracked and are unsafe for offshore voyaging. The manufacturer
can supply replacements at great cost and with a long lead time. I am
looking for advice and sources for the fabrication of replacements and
perhaps suggestions on improving the design and strength of the windows. I
believe they are lexan. Some are flat, some are formed in two dimensions and
two of them may also be compound curves in three dimensions.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Denis Marier

In my case, I have had my replacement from a Auto Glass dealer. The hardest
part was to get the proper sealing gaskets. My advise is do not rely on the
existing window pane for tracing the new one. At time the original panes
are not cut exactly to fit the window openings and the gaps are filled with
caulking. It is best when needed to trace each window pane from the opening
on a masonite or cardboard.