John Regan

Default Simpson Lawrence 555 Windlass Maintenance

Hello,

I have just purchased a yacht with a Simpson Lawrence 555 windlass. I
have a problem in that I believe it has not been used for 3+ years and
although it will bring in chain, it will not release any chain out.

I have the exploded parts diagram and I assume that the gipsy has
become stuck to the clutch. I have undone the grease nipple and
removed the clutch plate but the gipsy will not come off. Should it
just pull off at this stage or do I need to do anything else?

Any help or information would be appreciated.

Thanks

John
Cindy Ballreich

John Regan wrote:
Hello,

I have just purchased a yacht with a Simpson Lawrence 555 windlass. I
have a problem in that I believe it has not been used for 3+ years and
although it will bring in chain, it will not release any chain out.

I have the exploded parts diagram and I assume that the gipsy has
become stuck to the clutch. I have undone the grease nipple and
removed the clutch plate but the gipsy will not come off. Should it
just pull off at this stage or do I need to do anything else?

We've had a similar problem. You're probably correct in your
assumption that the grease on the clutch has turned to glue and
the gypsy is stuck to it. Loosening (or removing) the nut and
then smacking/prying the gypsy with the bar should loosen it so
that chain can be released or the gypsy removed. The gypsy can't
be completely removed until the chain stripper has been removed.
(Removing the stripper can be an unexpected education in
dissimillar metals.) Be aware that once you get the gypsy loose,
it will continue to stick (usually at the worst possible moment)
until the clutch has been cleaned and regreased.

Best of luck with your project.

Cindy
John Regan

Thanks for both of the comments. I will have a go at freeing the
gypsy later on today. It sounds like removing the rope stripper will
be fun ;-)

Thanks Again

John